1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bars leak in small pieces of foam to seal coolant leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by lech auto air conditionin, Aug 17, 2019.

1. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Bars leak in small pieces of foam to seal coolant leak

Water heater pump plugged E5FA056A-D1F5-468E-9E3A-9135ECB5AC88.jpeg A3BBA294-9A54-4F0A-B8FF-371CC43AE642.jpeg

2. Fliebly

Fliebly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found the black foam in my heater pump too! What's causing that?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you listen to the two guys talking in the video, they seem to be fairly sure it is a product called "Bars Leak[s Stop]".

Funnily, when I was reading your post, I was wondering what kind of crud a radiator stop leak would create, after all, there has to be some kind of material to plug up the leaks, right?

4. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    what people do not understand is that with today's new high efficiency radiators/heater cores/ condensers the new small opening (holes) for fluid passage are so small any thing can plug them maybe not all of them but will semi clog your heat exchanger. when I was in GM class in the early 90's we had cutaways of different heater cores with coolant passages so small a BIC ball point pen ball bearing will clog it.

5. Fliebly

Fliebly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bars leak were the the little pebbles he picked up. The foam is something that is deteriorating inside. I have seen other posts of others having the same issue. I haven’t used a stop leak in my Prius. I was asking about the foam that is showing up in mine and others Prius’.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're sure? I think they thought that both copper colored stuff and black foam stuff was stop leak. There are many different stop leak products with different stuff in them and none of them should be used in a Prius.