1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Base v. Standard? Buying a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malli52, Apr 23, 2008.

1. malli52

malli52 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am totally confused when speaking to local dealers. What is the difference between a base and standard Prius? Some sites call one a Hatchback. Aren't they all hatchbacks?
    Help, please. Need to make a decision today!

2. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They're all hatch backs. The difference between the levels are just basic options such as cruise control, navigation, leather, bluetooth, voice activation, etc. I don't have all the option levels in front of me so I can't be specific but if you go to Toyota's website and try to build your own I'm sure you can easily check out the option levels for yourself.

Mike

3. Tbirdtony

Tbirdtony New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They're all hatchbacks.

For the 2004-2007 model years, the base or standard Prius had as part of its standard equipment (1) heated outside mirrors, (2) pockets behind the front seats, (3) trim rings on the wheels, (4) cruise control, and (5) tonneau cover.

For the 2008 model year, the base or standard Prius' price was reduced by eliminating these 5 features from the base or standard Prius.

These 5 features automatically get included (and the base price increases) once you order or get any of the option packages.

5. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Boo, is this to say that all Prii have heated outside mirrors? When I filled out my profile I just entered "basic" 'because I'm hard-pressed to find my invoice & sticker (and it ain't that big a deal). I just happened to buy the one (we have an '07) on the lot the day we decided to get a Prius (we took it home same day, which I hear is hard to do these days since they're selling so well) - it was a color and option package that was OK with us. The only thing it has above bare-bones (I think) is the backup camera (which I consider almost a necessity given the visibility out the rear without it). I also consider cruise control a necessity for econo-driving. Looking at the option packages on Toyota's site, the "heated mirror" throws me. Didn't know we had it, and we're in the FL Keys where I don't think it's a meaningful feature. Just wondering which package we have. I panic at the thought of searching thru a huge pile of paper to find the invoice...

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For an '08, here's the easiest way to understand it. If you compare a base Prius to a touring (both with package 6), there are 3 differences: the touring has 16" wheels (vs. 15" for the base), a tuned suspension, and a larger rear deck spoiler.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Fuzzy,

Yes, dual heated outside mirrors were standard on all 2004-2007 Prius.

If you have the backup camera on your 2007 Prius, then you have at minimum option Package #1.

Below is a link to the 2007 Prius eBrochure. You should be able to figure out which option Package # you have.

http://www.toyota.com/html/tcuv/brochures/07_prius.pdf