1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Basic PiP owners...a Nav question...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 9G-man, Apr 4, 2012.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Basic owners,

With the Display Audio nav unit, do your 'Stored' destinations remain functional, via the touch screen, while the car is moving? Such as HOME and any other place that is listed under the 'Stored' tab in 'My Destinations'.

And if you would be so kind, can someone please post all the voice commands that are listed when you push the VC talk button.
    There is a tab you can choose that lists them all, and I cannot find any other reference to them.

There are some interesting differences in the Denso unit vs. the Harman unit. (Advanced vs. Standard Trim) I'm going to post a thorough rundown shortly.

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, I have to ask.. why are you 9G-man? Astronaut, pilot or top fuel drag racer? :D

The answers to your questions are:

I THINK I can access the Stored destinations while moving. However, I know for sure you can use a voice command to access your stored destinations. The voice command for that is "FAVORITE [name of stored destination]". I was just playing with this yesterday. I read lots of complaints about the voice command feature. In our 2011 Sienna, I think it kind of sucks. But in the PiP, I think it works pretty well.

For the voice commands, when you hit the button, on the screen, its sorted into:

Navigation commands (11)
    Media commands (10)
    Phone commands (4)
    Radio commands (8)
    All commands (33)

Navi commands are:
    Destination <House No, Street, City, State>
    Enter country
    Enter state
    Enter city
    Enter ZIP code
    Enter street
    Enter House Number
    Favorite <Name>
    Find next <POI brand>
    Show Map
    Repeat instructions

Media commands are:
    Play <Artist> <Album or Song>
    Search for music
    Genre <Name>
    Artist <Name>
    Album <Name>
    Song <Name>
    Play Playlist <Name>
    Next track
    Previous track
    Play more like this

Phone commands are:
    Call <Name>
    Dial <Phone number>
    Dial by number
    Redial

Radio commands are:
    Tune to <frequency>
    Seek up
    Seek down
    Next preset
    Previous preset
    FM
    AM
    Satellite

1 person likes this.
  3. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I really prefer the manual entry on our 2011 Sienna and 2011 Prius to the PIP base nav. That said, the voice recognition is MUCH better. I was able to speak a full address while I was in a car wash! I think I will be using that function a TON from now on.

The audio quality is a step down from the 2011 JBL for sure... Do you guys experience a "tinny" sound to voice on Bluetooth calls?

4. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I dont really notice any tinny sound to the bluetooth. It sounds pretty good to me and I havent gotten any complaints from the other end either. I dont use the bluetooth in the Sienna enough to be able to compare.

You're right about the Sienna being easier to input text. Although I do like the map graphics (and 3D view) on the PiP.

5. wke555

wke555 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally haven't had much luck using the voice entry. I know I am using the right commands, but the comprehension from the system is not too good - it gets close in the words I spoke, but when it comes to directions that's just not good enough still. Asking for "Marina Del Rey"
    will yield something like "Marine Way". For those who have ever used an Android device - I really wish the voice input was as good as Android's native Google Map voice recognition. That system is at least 95% accurate. After two weeks I gave up and just entered my 20 most used destinations as saved destinations. Anytime else, I'm having to pull over to input by hand. :mad:

6. wke555

wke555 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I do notice it is "tinny" and less natural sounding compared to my in ear bluetooth. However, since this is the first car I've ever had that has built in bluetooth, it could be just the adjustment period. As for sound quality, I personally think it's a significant upgrade over my Gen II Prius. I've never heard the 2011 JBL though.

7. SKrueger

SKrueger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I had a 2004 Prius which I replaced with the PIP and you are right. In the 2004 the Bluetooth was very natural sounding. In the PIP, it's horrible in comparison. Very tinny and harsh.

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Excellent, the Display Audio unit allows access to all your stored destinations, while moving. I thought so, and like that.
    I prefer that to relying on 5 "preset destinations" for use while moving.

I also like the Display Nav unit's "one shot voice command entry".
    Meaning, if you are using voice command to input an address or phone number, you just say the whole thing in one sentence, instead of piece- by- piece entry.

I really like the voice command of POI-name feature. This is far superior to POI-catagory while you are moving. Catogory was always worthless to me because I could never get what I specifically wanted.
    Now I can just say 'find nearest Burger King' and that's what I get.

The Display Audio nav unit is a Harman unit using Navteq maps. Very, very similar to a typical Garmin, that also uses Navteq maps.
    Its an Un-Complicated, user friendly and fairly intuitive gps nav that's available for first time this year in Prius and many other Toyotas.
    It's nice they are offering an alternative to the Denso unit that is available only in top-of-the-line trim levels.

The Denso unit was improved this year with a faster CPU and hard drive data acess.
    Which means higher res. graphics, faster mapping and quicker access. It's another evolution of the Denso nav that Toyota has used for years, with many improvement to functionality and input.

9. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Thanks, how did you figure out that "Favorite" was the command associated with "stored destinations"? That's nice.

Voice command has always worked well for me.
    I think some people that have trouble with voice command recognition may be blirting the command in an unnatural fashion.

10. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like that the DA head unit does not always revert to the map, since on my commute I rarely use nav, but am always flipping satellite radio channels.

The sound quality is what it is, but the head unit itself is nice enough. I am thinking that in contrast to the JBL where there were amps and all that I might be able to upgrade the stock speakers with a small amp, which could make all the difference. Have to look into this with regard to the electrical system of course though.