1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Basic Plug-in Prius Navigation Display Sun Visor/Hood???

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cyeh01, Jun 18, 2012.

1. cyeh01

cyeh01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I haven't had any luck finding any answers but I have the Basic Package PiP and I want to buy the Nav display sun visor/hood like the ones in the PriusChat Shop. Problem is, I'm not sure it fits the Basic 6.1" display? The Advanced Package PiP has the 7" display and I don't see different versions for the sun visor/hood.

Thanks in advance!

2. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm interested too :confused:

3. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, they don't fit the smaller display on the Base model. I didn't read the 'fine print' and mistakenly ordered one for my Base, and the two sides are a good 3/4" too wide to work (fit in the slots near the display buttons). Even if it fit, the side 'arms' are fairly thick and I'm concerned about the ability to use the buttons when installed (something others have pointed out in other posts).

On the plus side, I just had my side windows tinted (3M's CM30 ceramic...looks great), and the difference in reading the display is dramatic. I'm hoping that once I get the front windshield done (3M CR70) that will be enough to reduce the glare/light enough to not have to fool around with a display hood :)

4. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for answering for us Coyote

5. cyeh01

cyeh01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So of all the Gen III's does the Basic PiP have the smallest screen? Seems like the other Gen III's all have the same size screen.

6. HaroldG

HaroldG New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2012 Prius Hybrid and have been suffering with the glare problem for several months. Today it got resolved. We escalated thru the dealership and met with 2 Service reps from Boston. To make a long story short, they asked it we looked into the manual (Display Audio System Owner's Manual) under Display Settings on Pages 96-97. Needless to say we hadn't because the local dealership said they couldn't solve the problem & we discovered different forums on the internet discussing the same problem we were experiencing. Everyone talked about buying a sun visor. In 2 minutes, the service rep adjusted the contrast and brightness controls -- We drove the car into the sunlight and the displays functions perfectly.

The Sales and Service management from my local dealership get very low scores. It was their responsibility to "read the manual". We had 2 long chats with National Toyota who basically said that no one had ever reported the problem and they were not going to do anything. We then went back to the dealership management and threatened to return the car due to the safety hazard of not being able to see the Display screen which is the nucleus of this car. They then arranged this appointment -- seven months later.

Our frustration is now gone and we love our Prius -- without needing/using a sun visor or screening our windows to reduce the glare. I sure hope this helps other Prius owners.

retired4999 likes this.