1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

basic questions about adding an amp

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dachshund, Nov 13, 2006.

1. dachshund

dachshund New Member

I'm not a DIY'er, and I have talked to the local car stereo place about adding a subwoofer and amp, and possibly a 4-channel amp. I have a 2006 package 8.

Is there room under the seats for the amps? Passenger seat has the factory amp, and the driver seat has the dvd player for the NAV (correct my if I'm wrong.) Is there any more room under there for adding amps? They use JL Audio, fwiw.

Will the after-market 4channel amp be controlled with the volume control knob and steering wheel controls? As well, the mid and treble controls?

The reason for the first question is that I don't want the amps to interfere with access to the spare tire, so under the seat seems to be the only option.

Thanks in advance for any information.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    From what i've seen working on mine, there isn't enough room under the seats for the amps.

Of course, it all depends on how your install place is going to do it... if they're going to replace the current amp with these two, then they might be able to fit it there, but if they're just adding them on in series then no.

As for volume controls (and treble, mid, and bass, fade, and balance), all those should work as they did before, unless the installers screw something up. i have an amp powering a sub currently (i'll probably be doing the rest of the system next spring), and the bass controls through the touch screen provide a great way to adjust the bass as i need it.

With the seats pretty much out, you really should reconsider putting it in the back. If the installers are halfway decent, they can do what i did - put in what essentially amounts to quick release plugs so that all of the cables and wires can just be pulled out in about a minute and the amp completely removed if you need access to the spare. The amp is also mounted on a piece of MDF, and not the box.

3. dachshund

dachshund New Member

MDF - what does this stand for?
    Thanks!

4. dachshund

dachshund New Member

Doesn't the factory amp have to be kept in the system because it's integrated with the MFD? Ordinarily I'd assume an amp is just an amp, but not in this car. Sorry if this seems like a brain-dead question.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    not a bad question at all, actually i have the same. i thougth the "voice" was run through the OEM amp. If we replace it, dont we loose something there?

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Nov 13 2006, 05:02 PM) [snapback]348514[/snapback]</div>
    That is incorrect. The voice doesn't go through the amp. Think of it as two parallel systems (voice and audio) all the way to the speaker, with the car deciding which to connect to the speaker. You only lose the voice if you don't use the factory speaker wiring.

You lose the volume control. I'm not aware of a variable-output LOC that will accept Toyota-JBL bus commands (like you can get for many bus amps in GM vehicles, for example http://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2146), so you need to keep the factory amp.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Nov 13 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]348458[/snapback]</div>
    Medium density fiberboard. That beige stuff my amp is mounted on in the picture below. It's a stronger and denser engineered wood product compared to particle board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

My system:
    Two MTX amps
    JL Audio 8W3V2 subwoofer
    Two pairs Infinity component speakers
    Bazooka BTAH harness to tap into factory wiring harness without cutting a single wire

[Edited to correct information about what device is required if factory amp is removed]

Attached Files:

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Nov 13 2006, 05:37 PM) [snapback]348458[/snapback]</div>
    Medium density fiberboard.....it's a saw dust & resin board commonly used
    for making subwoofer enclosures. Doesn't crumble if it gets wet like particle board used to.
    It doesn't like to get wet however....swells up.
    You can find it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Nov 13 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]348535[/snapback]</div>
    Doah!
    Didn't see Priusenvy's reply there.
    FWIW, having the amps in the storage compartment doesn't hamper access to the spare....
    makes lifting out the tray a little heavier....but doesn't prevent access.