1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Basslink subwoofer troubleshooting?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by acheslow, Apr 12, 2011.

1. acheslow

acheslow New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a Basslink sub working great for the past few years until I took my Prius in for some body work last week. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or if the body work techs might have done something -- I did notice that the contents of my hidden luggage storage box had been moved to the main cargo area so I think they were working near the battery, sub, and the wires in between.

Anyways when I was driving home from the body shop I noticed that my front woofers and the Basslink were not working. After poking around I decided to replace both the 20a fuse in the Basslink and a 60a inline fuse between the battery and Basslink.

After replacing the fuses the speakers still did not work, but in the process I discovered that whenever I removed the 20a fuse in the Basslink, the front woofers would work.

So now I can get my factory speakers working as long as I remove the 20a fuse from the Basslink, but I can't do anything to get the Basslink working. I checked that the Basslink is getting power to it, but the power LED is not coming on.

I'm thinking that something inside the sub has blown and I'll have to replace it (or get the body shop to).

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Alan

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the amp powering up? I assume you tapped your source input from the front speakers?

3. acheslow

acheslow New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's getting power to the external connectors but isn't powering up. Best Buy did the install a few years ago and I don't remember which speakers they tapped. I'll take another look in the morning but I do know that there are both speaker-level and line-level inputs going to the amp.

It would seem clear that the amp is blown except I don't understand why the front woofers turn on when the fuse is removed from the amp and cut out when a fuse is put back in?

Thanks for the help!

Alan

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the amp it blown then it could be feeding current to your front speakers. I would try unplugging the speaker level inputs and see what happens. Then do the same for rca inputs. Then put the fuse back in the amp and try plugging the rca back in. Let us know what you find. :)

5. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    when I got my car back from the body shop my ground was disconnected from the subwoofer

6. acheslow

acheslow New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I spent probably 90 minutes going over everything with the body shop and then with Best Buy this morning, and of course it turned out to be something that should have been immediately obvious -- the hot, neutral, and ground wires going into the amp had been reversed. Fortunately the tech at Best Buy was very cool and spent the time to figure everything out and get it fixed at no charge. Happy ending.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Alan

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great news Alan! :)