1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Batteries of the Future I

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skruse, Feb 26, 2007.

1. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The BATT Program (Batteries for Advanced Transportation Technologies) is a $6 million DOE program that aims to develop the next-generation batteries for use in electric, hybrid-electric, and plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles. Berkeley Lab's Environmental Energy Technologies Division (EETD) assists the U.S. Department of Energy in managing research conducted under this program, which takes place not only at Berkeley Lab, but other national labs, universities, and private companies.

The next generation of batteries in your car is coming from laboratories — and from computer models. Advanced battery development is no longer just a question of trial and error engineering; scientists increasingly use computer models to design the best possible battery.

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archiv...atteries-I.html

2. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was a "mini column" (one of those one paragraph and graph things) in Wired magazine around the end of last year that plotted battery development against Moore's law. It was interesting.... it showed that while computing power was continuing to advance at the amazing rate predicted by Moore's Law, electrical storage density in batteries has not changed in twenty years. And what's more, the durability of batteries has decreased slightly.

If someone finds a link to the graph, pleas post it.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Dilithium chrystals....... that's what I'm holding out for :rolleyes:

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Feb 28 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]398199[/snapback]</div>
    Sultry Vulcan science officers, that's what I'm holding out for!

5. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Feb 28 2007, 06:25 PM) [snapback]398199[/snapback]</div>
    Matter/Anti-Matter

whoot whoot!!!

6. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Mar 1 2007, 08:19 PM) [snapback]398793[/snapback]</div>
    I think T'Pol is hot.