1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Batteries Plus saves nuvi 265W

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Aug 20, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    During my oversized, tire testing, I needed a GPS speedometer and have a Garmin nuvi 265W mounted in my NHW11, 2003 Prius. Thursday morning, I went to Walmart and it failed when I headed home. Nothing would bring it back.

Checking the web, the OEM battery seems to fail and lead to this lockup. So using a Torx T-5, small flat and Phillips, I opened the case; found the battery still had some charge; unplugged and plugged it back in and the nuvi came back to life. But I knew the battery was on borrowed time.

This morning I was about to pay $27 on the web when I remembered "Batteries Plus." At lunch time, they had exactly the battery needed for $20.

One lessons learned, to charge a Garmin battery from a Mac USB port without it being mounted, reboot the Mac and before the OS loads, plug in the Garmin. It looks like this avoids the USB handshake so Garmin just vampires power without trying to mount.

Bob Wilson

2. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do tell. I just sent anearly new 255W back for warranty repair after it totally croaked. Bet it's the same thing.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had Nuvi 250W for over 3 years. Never had this problem. The battery still worked to the day I installed kenwood dnx6960 with built-in Garmin nav.