1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battert replacements?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Burstman, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Burstman

Burstman New Member

Does anyone know if these batteries eventually wear out? And what would it cost to replace them (assuming it is beyond the warranty period). Thx! B

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They could, certainly, someday wear out. They are made to last the life of the vehicle...that is, the engine should fail, or body wear out or something else before the battery fails.

No battery has ever worn out on a Prius...ever. Replacement cost estimates vary. It is so rare now that you can find batteries on E-bay from wrecked vehicles for around $1-2k. If you insisted on buying one new from Toyota it would probably be about $5000.

The thing is this...your warranty should last you 8 yrs/100k miles. Let's say you drive a LOT...25k miles/year. In 4 years, just after the warranty expires, your battery for unexplained reasons dies and, for some reason, Toyota still won't cover it....There will be so many more hybrids, battery production will be so ramped up and costs of production so much lower that it's unlikely you'd pay more than $2-3k (pure speculation)...about the same as any other major component in a conventional auto.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    . . . and that far in the future, Toyota will probably have some seriously upgraded battery technology that would improve the overall performance of the Prius - along with a software update to take full advantage of the new battery. (supper caps?)

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I seriously doubt that a radically different battery will ever be available for today's Prius. Since the battery never wears out, there just won't be a market for the conversion of old cars to a new technology. And there will no doubt be far more differences than just a better battery. Merely reprogramming the present computer probably won't be enough.

However, by the same token, in 4 years from now, used batteries (from wrecked cars) will be available much cheaper than they are today, because demand for them will be so low.

Of course, the next major model revision could very well have such improved technology that we'll all be rushing to get on the waiting list again.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The battery pack on the current Prius is also an integral part of the car’s frame/rigidity system. Unless Toyota plans on redesigning the car body, I am more inclined to believe that Toyota will keep the same battery form factor and change out the innards with the new battery technology -whatever it may be. Backwards compatibility to an ‘04 -‘0x would then primarily be a software update to allow the Prii to safely take full advantage of the new battery - within both the Prii and battery’s design limitations. If such a battery were to exist in the future, you can be sure current Prii owners would consider the cost/advantages compared to installing someone else’s used battery from salvage.

As it stands now, the current Prii captures a small percentage of the energy produced with regenerative braking. If the new battery pack could increase the existing car’s efficiency by a large enough percentage, you can bet that Toyota would be looking at potential aftermarket conversions as an income stream too. Toyota is not the type of company to redesign a part when it doesn’t need to, nor to let potential income streams fall by the wayside. Just look at TRD as an example.

6. Burstman

Burstman New Member

Thank you all. Your feedback is much appreciated. This is a really great forum - one of thebest I have seen. I am just ordering my first Prius, for delivery the first week of January '05. I'm excited! B

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sufferin': I highly doubt that the next major model revision (with, presumably, a more advanced electrical storage system, whether battery, capacitors, or both) will keep the same body. It will be similar, due to the necessity of aerodynamics, but they'll want it to be distinctive.

Burstman: congratulations on your upcoming new car. You're gonna love it!

8. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This might be Prius Urban legend material, but I read that Toyota recently purchased a 2000 Prius back from its owner who used it as a taxicab in New York. The car had 200k miles on it and the battery was still ok. And this was a Classic Prius; the 2004-05 Prii have improved batteries in them. I don't think a battery failure should keep you awake at night.
    Toyota parts are more expensive, on the whole, than parts for GM or Ford cars, but they need parts less frequently, so it evens out, I suppose. I think the Prius is probably the best engineered car value on the market today.
    Just my unbiased thought.
    Bob

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd say the scale is way over on the Toyota side: parts a little more expensive, but much less likely to need replacement.

Agree 100% that Prius is the best value for your money of any car on the road today.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although I think, for the most part, that Daniel is correct that Toyota won't put out a new/redesigned battery (unless it becomes apparent that there's a defect in the current design). It wouldn't suprise me in the least if an ambitious 3rd party started producing a more powerful Li+ or similar battery that could be exchanged for or added to the current battery. 150k of these cars on the market by the end of the 2005 model year...at least another 100k the next year...

...and you just need a quick visit to Priuschat to get a 'geek count' of suckers willing to shell out a reasonable price for something like that!

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I wish you guys would quit saying that no battery has ever need replacing. There is a case on this forum, or on PriusOnline where we helped a lady get a new battery from salvage for her boyfriend's classic. The battery was not properly holding a charge. Granted, we could say it is extremely rare, as he had over 200K on his car, to the point of practically never, but we can't say it hasn't been replaced EVER.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it was on this forum Danman, do you have any other details...that's certainly the first I've heard.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, 245k miles. I have no idea how I missed that thread, must've just not been looking at POL too much at that time.

Now I'll change my quote to...I know of only 1 (One) person who's had to replace a battery in a prius b/c it wore out.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the correction, DanMan. Still, one case in all the years and units of Prius, and that at 245,000 miles, ain't bad.

As for an aftermarket battery upgrade, count me in. I'll buy it, providing I can get it professionally installed. Not within my DIY capability.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok fine.... when i hit 200,000 miles, i'll start worrying about it...

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm going to be under 7,500 miles when I hit one year of ownership next month. And I expect to trade mine in as soon as the next major model revision comes out. What, maybe 5 or 6 years? I guess I won't worry about the battery.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    5 or 6 years???

i sure hope not. every major revision has come every 3 years so i expect that to be the same.

so i am tempted to put my name on the list for a 2007 Prius now...maybe i can reduce my wait time...

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hope you're right. But I'm not an optimist. I'm looking at the supposed average for Toyota, rather than the very short history of the Prius. Four years from now would be my most optimistic hope. I'll happily eat my words with catsup if I'm wrong, being careful not to get any on the upholstery as I drive to the dealer for the trade-up.