1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery advice

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by luvmy2001, Dec 20, 2010.

1. luvmy2001

luvmy2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi fellow Prius Lovers!
    I have a 2001 Prius with 141000 miles on it. I have had it 4 years. (other than the catalytic converter needing to be replaced it has been working great)

I had the evil orange warning light (Hybrid system) come on Saturday night, drove it home (10 miles) then this morning took it to the dealer. (another 4 miles) It seems to be driving pretty normal.

As I suspected they say it needs a new battery. Code p3006. Are there other options? rebuilt batteries? If I get it replaced can I get another 9 years out of this car?

I am a student, the car is not paid off and I have to be fiscally responsible. Is it worth the investment or do I write it off and move on?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Rachel

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Yes, there is the option of installing a "remanufactured" traction battery, but you will need to find an independent shop willing to install it. You might save $1K with that alternative.

2. If you replace the traction battery, you may still experience other failures over the next nine years, such as the transaxle, inverter, power steering gear, another battery failure, who knows.

3. I suggest you determine the market value of the car (probably $5K at best) and compare that to the likely repair cost. It's unclear whether it makes sense to spend $2-3K in repair for a car with such a low market value. However, you'll then be faced with the decision of what other used car to purchase. Good luck.

3. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are some in here with 300,000+ miles. Wish you had a mechanic who could rebuild it with replacement cells for those that are bad in the original pack. It would seem you will be at the mercy of having a dealer replace it. Unless you have a mechanic who could at the very least do the battery pack swap for you.

4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It greatly depends on what it is going to cost you to do the replacement. If you are comfortable installing the battery yourself, it is definitely worthwhile even if you buy a brand new one. That is what I did. It cost me around $2,000 for the battery pack. I look at it this way, the car will only be worth around $2,000 to $3,000 with a dead battery because nobody is going to want it. If the car is in otherwise good condition, then with a new battery it will be worth $6,000 or more.

And yes, obviously there is a risk of other catastrophic failure of things like the transaxle, etc. But the chances of that are low. In fact, I'd say lower than risk of major problems on a regular non-hybrid vehicle. With a new battery you can easily get another 100,000 or more miles out of it.

5. luvmy2001

luvmy2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your advice. I have one more question, do I really need to replace the whole battery pack or is it a cell or two that need to be replaced? below is what it says on the printout from the the dealer.

code p3006 for weak battery cell in HV system cell #4 test bad

6. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know a mechanic who would be willing to tear into the HV Battery, replace that cell, measure all the others, and clean up all the copper buss bars. Once the corrrosion is taken care of in the pack, and the cell(s) is/are replaced you should/could get several more miles out of the pack, in theory.

It would be especially grand, if you found a mechanic who would do the work, just for the Hybrid Experience, and give you a discount on the labor. One can always wish anyhow......

You can find used generation 1 cells on Ebay.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

You can get a used gen1 battery pack with warranty or a reconditioned battery pack with warranty.

It is possible to get individual modules and replace them. This requires some toolsand know how.

Adopt A Part in Denver has all of the above in stck and we offer free phone tech support if you need it.

These are great cars and a traction battery is no reason to retire it.

Eric
    Adopt A Part
    800-508-2211

9. bobofky

bobofky Member

Sometimes problems with the 12V battery can cause the computer to not operate properly showing symptoms of Hybrid Battery failure. A dealer will always say that the computer and the hybrid battery need to be replaced. My experience shows that the life of a hybrid battery is time related more than miles related, and is about 8 Years. Make sure that your 12v battery is okay before you explore other parts.

10. drs33

drs33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @bobofky, do you know why the 12V might affect the computer in that way? (We also have an '01 telling us its main battery is dead, but in our case the hybrid battery was replaced in '08 and the 12V has never been replaced, and we've drained and jumpstarted it three times this year after a door didn't latch....holding out hope after seeing that post that maybe our problem could be our 12V rather than the traction battery, but unclear on how that might cause those symptoms!) Thanks.

11. bobofky

bobofky Member

When you start the car, the computer boots up using the 12V battery. I think that the computer operates from the 12V battery but I am not sure of this. I had to replace the hybrid battery in my 2001 Prius in January 2009. Everything was fine until August 2010 when the Red Triangle and other lights came on. The dealer diagnosed a failling Hybrid Battery and ECU. I was very busy at work so I let the car set. I started it occasionally to keep the battery charged, but I waited to long once and the 12V completely died. I put a battery charger on it and let it set for over a month. When I had time, I started the car and it operated fine although the warning lights were still on and I drove about 90 miles. The next morning when I started the car, the warning lights did not come on. The car operated the best it ever had for about three months before the warning lights came on again. I removed the cable from the 12V cable and let it set for a number of days. I reconnected the cable and the warning lights did not come on.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  13. bobofky

bobofky Member

Computer boots and runs off the 12V battery.

14. jk450

jk450 New Member

This is quite rare.

This is incorrect. You can find this out for yourself by searching the forum archives.

Any time I see such sweeping statements thrown around, I get a bit skeptical. Usually, they come from someone who had one experience with one or two cars, and who is now applying that experience to every example of that vehicle that was ever built.

A battery pack can last longer, or fail earlier. Temperature, calendar life, and usage patterns dictate battery life.

This is a good idea for most faults on most cars.

15. jk450

jk450 New Member

I'm curious: would this be the one experience that led your to state that a dealer will always recommend an HV battery and ECU when an HV battery code sets?