1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery and shipping Prices

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TimQuiner, Jan 9, 2008.

1. TimQuiner

TimQuiner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 2005 and getting ready to transfer and take my car with me. I have read and heard that if the car is not run for 30 min. the battery may degrade. I a m sure that during a 3 month trip no one will be able to run the motor every 14 days. Is there any validityto this concern? Other than disabling tie Smart key is there anything that I can do.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If there's no way to have someone drive the car at least once every 2-4 weeks then you have a couple options for the 12v battery.
    1) Pull the "DOME" fuse. That should stop battery drain and it'll probably be fine when you put the fuse back in when you get home.
    2) Put the battery on a float charger (can connect under the hood or directly to the battery in the back). That's probably the best way to preserve the battery and you can buy one for about $20-40.

The HV battery will be just fine for 3 months though I would make sure the SOC is nice and high when you leave.

3. LRP114

LRP114 Little Lou

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a 2004 (3 1/2 yrs old) with about 35,000 miles on it. I have done lots of short trips (15-20 min), and 3 @ 2500 trips.

How long does the OEM 12V battery typically last? Is there a way to check how much life it still has?

Thanks, Louis

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hard to know for sure as there are no '04s out with batteries older than 4 years and 3 months...many of those are going strong.

I replaced mine right at 4 years after having it die, once, while in ACC mode for 15 minutes. I'd previously gotten a good 30 minutes without any problems in ACC mode so I was concerned, and my concerns were supported by those knowledgeable about such things here. Anyway it was enough to prompt me to replace it on my own terms before I had a catastrophic failure. I may well have had another 6 months or even a year of use in the original, but I wasn't really wanting to push my luck and I expect that this new battery will last me the rest of the time that I will own my Prius.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i should probably replace my 12v. 80,000+ miles is pretty good for any battery i've seen. It's dim when i start the car. I've killed it 3 or 4 times so far.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    disconnect the battery when stored and during shipping.

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    your asking about Battery and shipping Prices
    wy shipping? i think you mean the HV batt!
    and that a nother story