1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery blower issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by emanboulay, Mar 1, 2017.

1. emanboulay

emanboulay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi to all.

Two weeks after changing a few modules in my Prius 2006, the battery blower died after running at full power for a moment (P0A084). I had previously stressed the battery by bringing it down to the last line of charge to check how the modules were going to perform.

Modules got charged correctly and are performing well.

So to make a story short, after a day of troubleshooting, I finally found that the brown wire running from the battery ECU to the Battery blower relay was defective.

Not knowing where that wire passes through the car, I clipped a new wire at both ends of the original wire.

Question : does someone know if there is a connector between the relay and the battery ECU? I find it very awkward that only one wire would go bad in a bundle of something like 10 wires if no connector is involved.

Thanks and keep up the good work on this invaluable forum!

Etienne

2. emanboulay

emanboulay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Short update...

At a temperature of 16 deg. F, drove 250 miles at 65 mph. Got an average of 47.2 mpg. Was baffled by the fact that the battery stayed in the green all the trip, but was reassured as she gave me a 5 min. 100mpg at the end.

So the car is doing ok, but I'm still puzzled by that brown wire that is cut somewhere...

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The brown wire goes from pin10 on the Battery ECU to connector BM1(6) and then a brown wire comes out of that connector to one side of the blower motor relay coil. All brown. The other side of the coil is gray wire fed by FUSE 10 BATT FAN. So that brown wire is pulled low by the ECU to turn on the blower relay.

The BM connector is inside the battery box its PIN6 for the brown wire.

m.wynn likes this.
  4. emanboulay

emanboulay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi edthefox5,

If I understand correctly, you are saying that BM1(6) is inside the hybrid battery box?

Thanks

Etienne

#4 emanboulay, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume so since the schematic says BM (battery module?) and all the battery ecu connections go to it.

6. emanboulay

emanboulay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's what I found... BM1 = Floor No.2 Wire and Floor Wire (Rear Side of Right Quarter Panel) in the "Prius 2004 Repair Manual".

Considering the water that was present in the 12v battery compartment, it seems probable that BM1 has suffered from water infiltration. Water infiltration is a major problem on this car and she's sleeping outside so not in the best conditions...

I will investigate as soon as I have the chance. Meanwhile, my bypass wire is doing the job.

Thanks!

#6 emanboulay, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the factory electrical diagram for your car and in "Position of parts" section where it lists all connectors BM is not shown which means BM is internal to a assy and not an external connector. It lists all external connectors and there physical location in the car.

You can remove the rubber drain plug drain in the bottom of the 12 volt battery well so at least water will not fill up there.

There's 2 ways the rear leaks in a G2.
    Crack in the upper hatch corner where the factory welded the quarter to the roof and gooped over the weld or a bad seal in the rear light assy especially if they have been replaced by a chinese cheap replacement assy. That's a guaranteed leak.

8. emanboulay

emanboulay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep for the leak I intend to check under the black linings on the roof. I have water on both sides and have already sealed apparent welds. I did remove the plugs on both sides and drilled holes in the big plugs under the spare tire.

For the connector, I found the following...

upload_2017-3-13_11-21-41.png

That's why I thought looking in the right side panel would be the way to go.

Thanks

Etienne