1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Cell replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DocSportello, Nov 3, 2023.

1. DocSportello

DocSportello New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with 100k+ miles on it. When I’m driving the car suddenly slows down and no matter how much I press on the gas it won’t go above 5-10 mph. I usually have to turn it off and back on to get it to run normal again, but even then it runs weaker than it has in the past. I was told it was a possible bad cell in the hybrid battery which makes sense because I had an even worse issue years ago and replacing the cells fixed it, but now I’m having this issue.

I ordered a new cell and decided to replace it on my own (my mechanic is out of town for the next couple weeks and YouTube made the process seem doable).

I replaced the bad cell, but did not put back the covers incase I have to make any changes. I made sure all wires are connected, even the orange one. Now my car will turn on but the engine won’t start. I even tried to jump it and see if that would help but it did not.

More info: the small plates that connect with the orange pieces to the cell were corroded but I replaced them with new ones.

I’m sure I did something wrong or am missing something important, but I don’t know what.

Advice would be appreciated!

I’m leaving the car alone for now, most likely will try to find a mobile mechanic or something.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those lights on your dashboard store error codes to guide you via an OBD2 reader and phone app or Toyota Techstream on an old Windows computer with Mini VCI dongle...

The symptoms you describe are nothing more than the car's computers shutting off the electric motor and its systems to protect you from damaging your car.

If you have a phone app like Dr. Prius or Car Scanner App you can clear these codes and get the hybrid systems running again. Same with Toyota Techstream.

And I or we can walk you through battery rebuilding, but if you want a new car-like upgrade, don't bother with module swapping and enjoy a way better brand new car with a lithium pack: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

And if you use that affiliate link above, I'll give you unlimited tech support for life of the new pack! (10+ years)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how did you know which cell was bad?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No mention of whether any warning lights illuminated or if codes were read?

That's a heck of a jump to make, going from suddenly slows down and no matter how much I press on the gas it won’t go above 5-10 mph to digging into the HV battery without a code.

Anyway, assuming you did have codes read, and did a good job building the battery, the first thing I would check (based on your symptoms of my car will turn on but the engine won’t start) would be whether the safety disconnect was installed properly using all three steps. Insert, rotate handle upward, slide handle downward to engage interlock.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Absolutely HATE the seemingly new requirement to double post everything. No matter how long I wait after the first click, nothing will post. Click it again and BANG, instant double post. Then, in order to not have a double post, I edit the duplicate to be different. For instance, I changed this post from a duplicate of the above post, into a b...itch session about duplicate posts!

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @TMR-JWAP after noticing a ton of double triple and even quad posts I figured I'd post here what works for me. easy way to reduce double posting | PriusChat
    A few others have routines they use to reduce doubles..
    The new 'priuschat behavior' is sure different than it used to be when clicking post and the post was not visible within a few seconds.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try refreshing the thread in a different tab to confirm it posted before hitting post reply button again... That's what I do, but sometimes the server doesn't refresh the new post even though it posted. If Danny ever finds a spare minute from his primary IT job and he completes the server migration these problems will go away. But for now I think we exist on a really old server in his mom's basement.

8. DocSportello

DocSportello New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just tried what you suggested! Every time I erase the codes. The Prius pops up a message saying “problem”. It seems to be persistent too, not just a one off. Now I’m really confused.

9. Kris_Parker

Kris_Parker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What codes are you getting?

Brian1954 likes this.
  10. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First time I disconnected the HV battery for a repair elsewhere I was thrown by the funky way the orange safety plug snapped back in. Did you get that part in correctly?