1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery charge / SOC never changes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by oopy493, Sep 19, 2007.

1. oopy493

oopy493 New Member

I've done some searching on the forum, apologies if this has been addressed and I didn't have the right search terms.

I'm about a month into my new 07, and I haven't yet seen my SOC at anything other than 5 or 6 blue bars. I live in Chicago, so it's all flat terrain, but I've done some long-distance highway, some city, some mix. I've been trying to take on some of the tips posted here and elsewhere, but a lot of folks describing using the "tricks" to get the SOC close to full or empty. I'm getting good mileage (~47mpg so far), so I'm not complaining and I don't think anything's broken, just curious if this is normal?

2. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you are worried about it, turn on the a/c at full blast with the ice not running, then you'll see it drain. But I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

In this weather I get in the 60s without trying in chicago, so read on the pulse and glide and keep your speed low and keep big buffers and you'll be in the 50s in no time. the slow and go on the local expressways is easy pickings for the prius, once you get the hang of no arrow coasting.

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I drive I rarely see other than 5-6 bars. When I get in the car after my wife drives, it's often at 3-4 bars, and the MPG is way down! :D

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius works pretty hard to keep the SOC right about where you see it. Excursions higher and lower only occur when the control system is forced to take on or use up some additional energy, such as climbing a hill, passing, or sitting in traffic with the air conditioning running. High SOC will show up after descending large hills or running in cold weather.

Tom

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're fine, don't worry. But if you want to increase your MPG a bit as, douglas001001 alludes to, come to one of our ChicagoPriusGroup meetings/events. We have a few people who could teach you some tricks.

Wayne

6. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    It took a few months before I ever saw anything other than 5-6 blue bars. One night I was sitting talking with friends with the A/C on and I noticed two purple bars. Shortly thereafter the ICE started. Now there are a couple of places I travel where I consistently get green (7-8?). I notice it frequently after coming off the highway ramps.

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oopy493 @ Sep 19 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]514867[/snapback]</div>

You could begin to learn how to drive in "stealth" mode (electric only) more often. Most useful in parking lots and low speed traffic. Raises your MPG average and takes advantage of some of that stored battery power.