1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery charger question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lucky1, Mar 29, 2010.

1. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My battery charger has two options

one is- conventional and low maintenance or maintenance free and deep cycle
    I am assuming maintenance free and deep cycle is the setting I need but I thought I would check here first to be sure.
    Thanks

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Back up one step: why do you need a charger?

3. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I own three Prius taxi's and am currently having a problem with one of the cars that has been a non stop electrical problem since it was in a serious accident 15 months ago. They recently checked all the wiring and replaced any damaged wires and said I was lucky I didn't have a fire. A couple of the multiplex connectors were blackened.
    Recently the 12 volt battery will not hold its charge for more than 5 days and when they scan the system nothing shows up as a problem.
    Even when I put a new battery in the car it did not last very long.
    Until I can get the car into Toyota I was going to keep one battery trickle charged. I am not going to have the car down for a day or more until later next week because we will be swamped with business with the end of the month welfare and disability cheaques out starting the next couple days and all the 20,000 college and university students leaving town for Easter weekend.
    I plan on keeping a fully charged battery ready

1 person likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good planning. If the battery being charged is original equipment, it should have a label on the top that warns against using a charging current > 4A. In that case, I'd suggest that you use the 2A setting on your battery charger.

If you can't select the charging rate, then I would select the maintenance free deep cycle option.

1 person likes this.
  5. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks patrick--- That is the cycle I used and the mechanic at Toyota confirmed it today--- I set the charger a 2A

Problem is I changed the battery today with one that Toyota had fully charged for me and it lasted less than an hour before the red triangle light came back on. They are going to see if they can get me in by sometime tomorrow and I will tell my drivers to not shut the car off and leave it running overnight.

The car was at Toyota for 5 weeks already and he checked all the wiring and had to change a few wires and he is scratching his head over this one. Something is draining the batteries real quick

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If this were my car, I'd hook up an ammeter in series with the 12V battery, with the car IG-OFF. Then I'd remove fuses one at a time, to see which fuse is providing power to the circuit causing the big current drain.

Once I identified the fuse causing the drain, I would refer to the wiring diagram to see which circuits obtain power from that fuse.

I would check any relays downstream from the fuse to see whether any are stuck. If that is not the problem, I would then disconnect the ECUs and any other power consumers downstream from the fuse, one at a time, to see if one of them is causing the problem.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then there must be a further wiring harness issue and that will be hard to figure out if the obvious damage has already been repaired.

Suggest you ask the tech who will be working on your car what his approach will be to solving that problem. Good luck.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For this sort of testing I use a clamp on ammeter. It's a lot more convenient than removing and reconnecting wires.

Tom

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Tom,

What is the minimum current that your clamp-on ammeter can read?

I have a Fluke AC current clamp-on probe which is rated to have a useable range from 0.1A to 600A and a specified range of 1 - 400A. The output is 1 ma per ampere. I've always wondered how linear the probe's response is.

9. Bob.H

Bob.H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most inexpensive clamp on Amp Meters will not measure DC current. It takes a special expensive $200+ clamp on meter to do that. It uses a Hall Effect to measure the magnetic field.

You can try to measure the tiny voltage loss across the negative cable from the battery clamp to the other end. The more current the more voltage will be across the cable. It will be like a very low resistance shunt. The voltage will be in microvolts or maybe millivolts. So you will need a sensitive DC voltmeter.

I will get to see the cables this week end when I put in an Optima Battery.

Bob

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My clamp-on is on the boat at the moment, so I can't check for sure. I seem to recall that the lower limit for clamping is around 100 mA, so it sounds like it's about the same as yours.

I only use it for maintenance and high amperage measurements, so linearity isn't terribly important for me. I'll have to test it alongside my Fluke 287 and see how accurate it is.

Tom

11. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the info and ideas--- I will talk to the tech tomorrow and see what he thinks when I show him your suggestions. Been frustrating with him having the car for 5 weeks and chasing all the wires and coming back in and found more bad wires and now nothing shows up at all when he scans the car and the battery draining so quickly. Starting to really dislike the evil red triangle!