1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery charging level 07

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bobby T, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Bobby T

Bobby T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all. I noticed that when the battery seems fully charged, it shows the charging level as green but never goes all the way to top. The very last bar at the top is not showing up. Should I be concerned about this? I have close to 179k miles.

Attached Files:

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In the Winter, when you use the engine more for heat than for propulsion, you will sometimes go Green into the 7th bar.

In Summer when the engine is not needed as much for heat, you should stay below 7 bars.

On a long steep decent (none any where near Chicago that I am aware of) you will use the brakes enough to charge into the blue and I have charged into the 8th bar in the Great Smokys. Once the battery is 'full' you can't do any more regenerative braking until it uses up some electricity, so it never stays full very long. (being able to use all your brakes is a GOOD thing, saving gas is also good. Once you 'fill'* the battery, the car will switch to engine braking, which is disconcerting and wastes energy)

Under most conditions Blue is normal.

*The computers never charge the battery all the way, but the display does not show the part they refuse to charge, so it looks full.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As Jimbo said, you will only see full green on a very long downhill.
    If it's a really long hill, you could "totally" charge the battery (as much as allowed), so at that point you might notice a slight change in engine noise as the elec motor stops charging the battery, and applying brakes no longer charges the battery. But for most of us that's not a common mode.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm from Chicago, currently live in Colorado, and I can't imagine anywhere in Chicagoland where you could possibly get the last bar on the battery to show up in normal driving. In Colorado, I typically need about a 2000' descent to get there.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you use of B mode when the batt is fully charged? engine breaking can be good since you will be using the "real" brakes after the batt is full