1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery charging question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AndyMartin826, Aug 28, 2006.

1. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been reading some posts here that talk about the battery showing "green" on the MFD. Now, I've had the battery show red/purple (2 bars) and blue (3-6 bars), but I've never seen green. Should I be seeing my battery go above 6 bars? Reading about the SOC, most things say I most likely will never see the battery get over 6 bars, so I'm not really worried about it, but it would be neat to just see it change to a different color.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You got any long hills nearby? Going down one of those is the quickest way that I've found to see it. As there's a long hill during my commute, I have that happen nearly every day, but it doesn't last long.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The last two bars at the top will be green when the battery approaches a full charge. As stated above, the quickest way to achieve this Zenlike state is to find a long, long hill and brake going down and you will probably see the green bars at the top....... good luck :D

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Or if you have no hills and really want to see it green, you can force charge it; Switch the car into Drive, keep your foot firmly on the brake and accelerate.
    Warning: it uses a (relatively) good amount of fuel to do this.

5. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

6. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Straw @ Aug 28 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]310890[/snapback]</div>
    My daily commute is between Gilbert and Tempe, basically straight down Elliot to Hardy. I seem to get better results doing a pulse/glide rather than CC, but again, that's probably why I'm using my battery more. Routinely, it's 2-3 bars in the morning when I start, and I can get the battery up to 6 bars and that's it. No hills to speak of, really a flat route. I've wanted to take it up to Payson or Flagstaff and coast down the mountain, I'm sure I could get it fully charged then. Second thought, maybe I'll just take a drive up South Mountain, right near work. Coming down that, might be able to get it charged high too. I'm at about 42mpg overall now, about 48 on this tank according to the MFD. Resisting the urge to short-fill the tank since gas dropped about $0.10/gal this week, want to see how far I can go.