1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery cost

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Per, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    We were downtown San Antonio this afternoon getting a quick test-drive in the Smart ForTwo. While we waited, I talked to a couple of guys about cars, and the cost of the Prius battry came up. One of the guys said it costs about $5,000--I corrected him and stated it only cost about $2,400. Then he asked a question I did not have an answer for: How much is the disposal cost?

Does anyone know if the disposal is included in the $2,400? A regular battery has a disposal cost of about $12, but the Prius battery is a lot bigger.
    Does anyone know the facts?

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

A local store that sells batteries accepts any type of car battery for recycling. You can just drive by at night and leave it in the front of the store. One could do the same thing with the Prius battery, so the disposal cost, at least to the owner would be zero.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota says:
    http://www.toyota.com/about/environment/te...004/hybrid.html

Is there a recycling plan in place for nickel-metal hydride batteries?

Toyota has a comprehensive battery recycling program in place and has been recycling nickel-metal hydride batteries since the RAV4 Electric Vehicle was introduced in 1998. Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled. To ensure that batteries come back to Toyota, each battery has a phone number on it to call for recycling information and dealers are paid a $200 "bounty" for each battery.

4. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jul 14 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]478792[/snapback]</div>
    Does driving a Prius really lower your cholesterol?
    No, but wouldn't it be wonderful? However, it could help lower your blood pressure each time you fill it up.

I need all the help I can get. :rolleyes:

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yes, the "disposal cost" of the Prius battery is $-200 from Toyota. You can actually get more for it from other places. It's worth its' weight in nickel. ;)

6. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thanks! That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind next time the issue comes up!

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Per @ Jul 14 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]478775[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius' 12V battery is about the same size as the 12V batteries used in other cars. The traction battery is larger and different.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 16 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]479983[/snapback]</div>
    No, it is considerably smaller; about the size of a motorcycle battery.

9. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen the high voltage battery for my car on eBay from time to time for under $600. Not every Prius dies a slow and natural death. Some end up in wrecking yards due to extensive body damage. Another plus for the Prius is the total number of cars sold. The more cars on the market, should mean lower replacement parts cost.

10. RandomLurker

RandomLurker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Toyota Prius Battery Cost

How much does a Prius battery cost? The big "main drive" or "traction" battery, that is

According to Freeman Toyota in Texas, a 2012 Toyota Prius battery costs $2,718.10 new off the shelf. Installation is extra.

Can I replace individual cells in a Toyota Prius battery?

Salesman said yes. Parts counter said no. Hmmm....

Yes, the Prius battery has an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty.
    True enough, the Prius battery tends to last a really long time; 100,000 miles or more, according to my reading. There are though some exceptions, as with everything.
    Toyota does seem to be honoring their battery warranties, according to my reading.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The 'floor' on ebay is $200, since that is the fee Toyota will pay for any HV battery no matter how dead. $500 is a more realistic minimum. (Shipping cost is non trivial)
    Prius battery | eBay

For $1700 you can get a 're-manufactured' HV battery with a warranty. (they also recommend installers)

Remanufactured Hybrid Vehicle Battery Packs

Individual cells must match the power of the existing cells, so it is not as cheap as it may sound, you could buy quite a few cells before finding a good match to your existing 28 cells.