1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery dead, jumped, then display freakout w/check hybrid system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kenedamick, Apr 23, 2013.

1. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Hello,

My 2010 Prius sat idle, parked for 7 days while my wife and I were on vacation. When we went to pick up the car, the airport valet said that the Prius wouldn't start, and so that they'd have to jump it. I approved the jumpstart, and got into the car. We got about 1/4 a mile before the display totally freaked out, including the "check hybrid system" as well as about every warning light there is. The car was beeping, acceleration was lost and it eventually died on the side of the road. The car would not start back up.

Had it towed to the nearest dealership. Initial diag from the service manager was that the 12v battery was dead. I approved replacement of that, and also authorized clearing out "a few software alerts". Got a call later in the day from the same manager (very nice guy) and there are about 11 errors that cannot be cleared out. Now he's asking for 3-4 hours labor to "trace the wiring" as suggested by Toyota. Apparently the tech had been in touch with them all day.

Including the proprietary battery, I'm already in the hole to to the tune of 220.00 and now they're wanting hours of labor at 120.00/hr just to figure out what is wrong. Who knows how much it will cost beyond that.

My prius is a 2010 with 64k miles on it. The manager says that wiring issues are not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Am I to sign off on hundreds of dollars of labor just to get a diagnosis? What do I do here?

Thank you - Mike

2. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

I should have said too that the car was working just fine before I dropped it off at the valet.

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know if they jump your vehicle the wrong way or not, they could've fried something in your electrical system. I would ask the tech if that is possible or not since it was working fine before that.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will never let a common valet service jump start any of our cars, including the non-hybrids. Too many of them lack mechanical and electrical competence. But especially so on the Prius, it is just too $u$ceptible to damage. I will do the honors myself -- preferably with an isolated battery, not a running non-hybrid car engine.

After having the ECU fail in a previous car shortly after jump starting a stranger (third or fourth jump start provided by that car), I also don't give jump starts any more. It will be cheaper for me to pay for a bunch of their emergency service calls than to repair one more ECU. But I'll insist they pay for their own service, I'll just give them a free cell phone call for help.

3TE likes this.
  5. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

True enough but they "jump start Priuses all the time" and the 12v battery was indeed dead according to the dealership. It's this wiring issue that concerns me, and spending up to 700 bucks just to find out what's wrong.

6. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

What's the Toyota warranty coverage on the wiring harness? Isn't it 100k miles?

7. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

The service manager also said that they thought they saw "pet food" under the hood somewhere which is crazy. No reason for pet food to be down there. He said they have had rodents in other Priuses engines before.

8. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

I went ahead and agreed to pay the labor to trace the wiring, if anyone's actually reading this. **sigh**

9. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm going with all you needed was a new battery and they're screwing you to jack up the bill now. I hope that's not the case, but check back in and let us know how that "tracing the wires" went.

10. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. The service manager is the nicest guy on Earth, but yeah, I have my doubts too. I don't like this vague "can't diagnose" thing. Bizarre.

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the car work after installing the new battery? I would do one step at a time.

12. Genome Tuning

Genome Tuning New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i too an curious of this. sounds like a scary place to be right now :(

13. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Definitely. Well, the manager now says that 9 circuits are damaged due to what they think was a reverse charge -- the parking valet jumped it incorrectly, he thinks. So now I'm waiting on the official diag paperwork and then I'll be going after the valet. Might have to lawyer up, go to the BBB and all that, but I'll at least give them a shot at making this right.

The car is still in the shop as of this morning. I think it's pretty jacked up. I'm staring at a 1000.00 bill right now....

14. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Car's ready for pick up after a new 12v battery and 4.5 hours of labor. They had to repair/clear 9 circuits and replace a fuse in the display. 1020.00 bill. Going after the valet service. Let this be a lesson to never let anyone jump start your Prius and only do it yourself after researching how to do it.

The moron at the valet reverse jumped it. Just a total lack of common sense.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ You are lucky. Some others have $uffered $everal time$ as much damage.

16. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Yep - I do consider 1000 bucks lucky in this case. I expect the Valet to pay for 700 dollars of the repair. I'm willing to pay for the battery install and the oil change that it needed.

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm glad you have your car back and, hopefully, fixed. Good luck with the parking garage/valet service, maybe they will do the right thing.

I think I would rather walk 10 miles than trust an untrained moron to even park my car let alone try to jump start it. The only surprise is that it ran long enough to get a 1/4 mile down the road. Be aware the valet service may claim that since it did run and got you out of the parking lot that it must have been something you did to it after you left their facility.

Merkey likes this.
  18. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Thanks.

Yes, they may have a case, but I'm going to go at them full bore so we'll see.

19. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good news! Glad your car is fixed!

20. blizzardwhat

blizzardwhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Scary. I just bought a used 2010 Prius with the original battery and what happened to you is the very thing I hope to avoid. I bought a battery maintainer hoping it'll extend the battery life and won't die and strand me somewhere. Lesson learned, if the battery dies, I'm just going to get the car towed. No charging, not even by AAA.

Merkey likes this.