1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery died while in Neutral

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SkyePriusChat, Mar 18, 2014.

1. SkyePriusChat

SkyePriusChat New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So the 2011 Prius was sitting around for a month as my friend was out of town. It is parked in my side yard. The hybrid system started just fine, and I put it in neutral while I was sitting there about to drive it. The battery shut off while in Neutral. From what I've read, the battery won't charge while in Neutral. The car will not accept a jump from another car using jumper cables, but it IS GETTING POWER from the portable 10amp charger I set up. The lights in the cabin now come on, the doors respond to the key, etc. The engine will not start though, even though the battery charger says "fully charged". As soon as I unplug it, there is no power to the Prius. I think the problem is that there is no way to get it into "P", which according to the manual, is the only way to start the engine.

The hybrid system will not start in Neutral, according to the manual.

Does anyone know how to get it into "P" at this point? The light just doesn't come on when I hit the "P" button. I've tried simultaneously holding the Power button, trying to switch "mode" and everything. Nothing responds.

Also, the little engine light saying "CHECK" is on solid.

All of this ONLY while the battery charger is plugged in/connected to the vehicle.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. SkyePriusChat

SkyePriusChat New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As soon as the battery charger is unplugged, there is no electrical on at all in the Prius, even the doors won't respond to the key, etc. when the battery charger is disconnected.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not sure what could be going on. You would have to have it on quite a while in neutral for the battery to die, and it would be the hybrid battery, not the 12v battery (which it sounds like is the problem). How long was it in neutral (why did you even have it in neutral?)?
    I would let the 12v battery charge on the charger, remove the charger, and check the voltage a few hours later.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like bad 12V battery. I hope didn't kill the computers on boards while "jumping"
    Measure the voltage on battery and report back.

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Was told when having the software update on my 11' hatchback Monday that the update was to keep the ice from stalling, my advice would be to have it drayed to a Toyota dealer and have the traction charged and the software updated.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Will the car roll? If not, it's not in neutral.

It doesn't take much to get the computers booted up. The 12v battery does not start the engine. It should start hooked up to the charger/jumper.

The correct start up procedure is foot on the brake (press it down all the way), push the Power button. If there is a "fob not detected" message then press the Power button with the fob.

Is the charger connected to the jump points under the hood?

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to admit, I didn't think it was likely to happen though.