1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Dilemma on my 2010 Prius vs my 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dhillonflygirl, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Dhillonflygirl

Dhillonflygirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2010 Prius with 205,000 miles, has hybrid system warning, and the dealer has reported that the hybrid battery needs to be replaced, there is a prob with one module but they do not repair the batteries only total battery replacement. Also needs front brakes and tune up, whopping $4,981.00 to make repairs. I did not expect the hybrid battery failure on this 2010 Prius since my 2008 Prius (184,000miles) had no issues thus far with the battery. Both cars are every day drive cars. Both cars have been really dependable and only routine maintenance.

I had no issues with the hybrid battery until after my last service when their was some factory recall having to do with the cars computer system, and routine oil change. The car stalled out the next day, but then restarted, this was odd it felt like the car was running but would not go into gear nor respond to the gas pedal, I'm calling it a stall, I'm not sure if this is correct termin0logy. So, it did this a couple of times the day after service, I was shocked but I just killed the car and restarted no other issues for about 3 weeks. Then I got the hybrid system warning on the computer screen on the dashboard, UGH.

I never expected my newer 2010 Prius to have a hybrid battery failure before my 2008 older Prius.

I'm looking for options and advice with Prius over 200,000 miles. Both have been maintained through dealer services. Dealer reports the 2010 Prius with this issue is worth 1000.00 :( . I'm at a loss I really want to keep the car, but now I'm unsure, and obviously think it's worth more than 1000.00. LOL

Any comments or suggestions, will be much appreciated.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved from the Prius v forums to the Gen III forum

Dhillonflygirl likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. You can contact Toyota HQ and see if they'll throw in any goodwill money towards the repair. You have at least 2 vehicles that are Toyota and they may help out just to keep you a happy customer.

2. If you are good at DIY, you can swap in a new battery yourself. You can get it online at Autonation Toyota Houston for $2558.xx

3. Chances are the 2010 pack is still fairly good, you probably just have 1 defective module. You can have that module replaced and hopefully the battery pack will last another few years.

4. Dhillonflygirl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you! I had no idea that Toyota HQ was an option.

I'd love to have the defective module changed. I just need to find someone that offers those skills in the Houston area, since the dealer does not do this.

I'm not comfortable with changing it out myself, but if I can find someone other than dealer services, I may go that route.

Really appreciate your comments, just now need a service that is outside of the dealer network...

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow guess what:
    This is the first USA Gen3 batt failure that I recall here at Prius Chat.
    Overseas we had a few Gen3 batts replaced, but some felt that was due to different quality of parts.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't complain at 200k i suppose.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I noticed that too

10. Dhillonflygirl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new here on chat. I just joined I needed help with my issue. Several members have provided very helpful info to me, and I appreciate the help.

Yes, 200000 is good but I bought the Toyota's because they are supposed to be better than the rest and last longer, now my 2 Toyota's are contradicting each other in reliability standards of the battery as far as I can see.

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The "failure" is not really a good indicator of comparing the two cars. Sure one left the car with a warning, but is a pack that has 1 bad module and more capacity worse than a pack with all the modules equally degraded in capacity? There are always bad apples and when you start stacking components over 200K miles the odds are you will have a problem. Remember when if your car made it past 60K without a major repair it was a miracle?

Replace the 1 module for $30 and be done with it.

Having said that, it has long been speculated that the GenIII is a downgrade in quality. The GenII had to be robust. Super over engineered and built to withstand everything. The GenIII built off of the GenII's success and didn't have to prove that a hybrid can be a good car. So they downsized the inverter changed the battery got rid of some of the cool little things that made it weird but awesome (fuel bladder, coolant thermos, etc). I personally would rather have the GenII than a GenIII.

12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Give ericbecky a call. P0A80 2006 Prius with 154k, Need Module Supplier | PriusChat

Then, after talking with Houston Hybrids and ericbecky you should have a better idea about what your options are.
    Whether it is a new pack, a pack rebuild to replace the defective pack module, a grid charger
    or something else.

13. Dhillonflygirl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your comments, I am searching Houston for service provider that will replace the module. That would be awesome, if I could take care of this issue for $30.00! :) So far not finding anyone that provides that service here in Texas, it's either new one or rebuilt.

Do you have a lot of service providers in your area that are willing to replace modules only?

I am going to contact ericbecky...thx. I'm not sure if I can just copy them on this thread, so I'll send ericbecky a message.

#12 Dhillonflygirl, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here is another related thread posted a few days before yours.
    dead battery after recall service? | PriusChat

I had a similar thing happen with my 2006 Civic Hybrid last Nov.
    It's not fun trying to figure out what's actually happening with the hybrids when they code right after a service.

15. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    o.k. guys... let's not set up false expectations.
    Dhillonflygirl is not going to get a reputable shop to come in and replace a module for $30!
    In most shops that's not even 30 minutes of labor. Not to mention the cost of the part.

No way is a shop going to be able to...
    - remove the battery pack
    - open up the battery pack
    - replace the module
    - balance the pack
    - put the pack back together
    - put the pack back in the car
    - run diagnostics on the car
    ... all for $30.

So if Dhillonflygirl is going to do all the work. Maybe. But it will not be a long term fix. We all know that.
    Dhillonflygirl will need to go back in sometime and do the process over again. That's why I sell modules in pairs.

16. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You going to either have to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself on the cheap, or pay through the nose to sit back and watch someone else do the same thing you could have done with a youtube video and patience. You will not find someone *else* to replace a module for $30. You yourself can do it. If you want a shop to do it for you, probably a thousand dollars. And if you go that route, you are really just paying the labour anyways, just swap the pack with a good rebuilt one for a few hundred more because once you start replacing modules it is whack-a-mole so you better know how to do it yourself and fast.

agreed on all points.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have nothing to lose in contacting Toyota and seeing if they wouldn't help in the battery replacement. There are threads where Toyota has been rather amazingly supportive in this area.

BUT if they say no, you don't have too much grounds for complaint.

The fact that you have 2 Prius and the "older" one hasn't failed is rather immaterial.

The "Older" one has nearly 20,000+ LESS miles on it. Hate to tell ya, but when the older one, reaches 205,000...it may also need a battery replacement.

Both vehicles are in the range where a failure shouldn't necessarily be unexpected.

Given that,- I think your best approach is to find that hybrid battery replacement shop in your area that you can trust and is reputable. But I'd call Toyota first and see what they say...nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Change is inevitable.

But I wouldn't argue that the Gen 3 is a "downgrade" in quality.

Not to inflame a "Generation War"...but the fuel bladder for many has or does become problematic. NOT having a fuel bladder is a nice plus to Gen 3.

The heat reclamation system, seems to be as efficient at least as the coolant thermos. Without having the coolant thermos.

The Gen 3 is a beltless system.

Toyota sold the Gen 2 for a longer period than normal. It was ground breaking.

Down sizing or making parts lighter and smaller is fairly normal in automotive evolution. Heading in that direction, helps lead to products like the Prius c.

We will see what the NEXT Generation Prius embraces. But my guess it that it WON'T have a fuel bladder or a coolant thermos.

#16 The Electric Me, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen3 also did some things to improve battery life such as preventing the batt to discharge fully when the motorist is out of gasoline. I am thinking Gen3 HV Batt reliability is going to be much better than Gen2, but we just have to wait and see (Toyota may know the answer already).

19. Dhillonflygirl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Houston Hybrids installed a rebuilt hybrid battery on my 2010 Prius today. I'm a happy driver back on the road!!! Thanks again for all of the info and help and Prius Chat, I could not have accomplished this without your help. :)

vvillovv and wjtracy like this.
  20. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Gen III is actually a down graded GEN II ,,,,,, really ??

21. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It downgraded the weight of my wallet.