1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery discharge problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mehrshadvr4, Feb 18, 2013.

1. mehrshadvr4

mehrshadvr4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My prius has battery discharge problem. It has a reman battery and when i let it sit for a day with out driving the battery bar drops two bar instantly after starting the car. if i let it site two day with out driving the battery bars drops all the way down with only one bar left with battery pending code. after driving it it charges back all the way to full even sometimes. i talked to the place where it was repaired and they said it could be many things and they replace it when the triangle has came up. anyone has had this problem before? i even unplugged the service plug making sure there is nothing on the car causing this and it still dropped bars. not sure if this battery last much longer. it's been doing this for about a month now.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is a failure mode of one or more modules in the battery, and should be replaced.

John (Britprius)

j12piprius likes this.
  3. mehrshadvr4

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that's what i'm thinking but the batteries are under their warranty and they say they'll replace it when they fail. i told them this is my work car and can't afford to wait or the battery fail when with customers, but he said i can still drive it till they send me a replacement. they also did a crappy job rebuilding it. the battery fail once when the car sat for 4 weeks. i asked them to send me 2 cells to replace the bad cells. they sent me two and one was cracked but i put it on anyway since it didn't leak and held charge but when i took the battery pack out i noticed all the copper connectors on the battery were very corroded with out cleaning them out. they had less maybe 1000 miles since they were replaced since i got them.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That battery definitely sounds sick. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it dies, and the shop that did the reman are just hoping that the warranty period is up before it inevitably happens. :cry:

It's kind of unfortunate that the battery has to deteriorate so much before the car throws a code. I once heard that it has to be something like 25% capacity or less (>75% lost capacity) before you get the triangle.

j12piprius likes this.
  5. mehrshadvr4

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i hope it fail before warranty is done. i think it'll fail by then. it has about a year left on the warranty but i don't want to drive it with triangle on and the fan on with passengers inside. i bet they'll freak out and the car will be slow as hell.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a very bad battery reman. Who is this company?

All corroded copper buss connections must be cleaned to raw copper and treated. If not it will be an intermittent and battery draining mess. The company either is awful or the battery was not a reman but just a junkyard pull and they never took the cover off it.

7. mehrshadvr4

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greentec auto did that.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Greentec. Never heard that name before. They suck.

Where do you live? Please fill in your profile.

9. mehrshadvr4

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i live in st.louis.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    But you're talking about Greentec in Rancho Cordova Ca right?

11. mehrshadvr4

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A