1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Discharge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bananaslug, Mar 31, 2004.

1. bananaslug

bananaslug New Member

When we got the Prius ('04), the salesman said that the battery (12v) will discharge if the car is left sitting 10 days or more. I thought it sounded strange. Sure enough, when we got back from vacation yesterday, the battery was dead and we had to jump it....but...I did find I had left the rear hatch open (does that keep an interior light on?). Anyone else had experience leaving the car sitting for extended periods? Any need to jump it?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Most have said 2-3 weeks could do it. We have a pretty small 12v battery - since it's not running a starter.

One additional thing you can do is disable smart start/entry if your car has it. While it will reduce checking frequency, then disable itself after a number of days, it's better to just turn it off manually to conserve the battery power.

hope this helps,
    -Rick

3. thockin

thockin New Member

It WILL do that, or it should do that? I assume you need to have the real key to get in, if that happens? :)

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Pressing the unlock button on the fob would suffice unless the car was completely dead - in which case the real key would be required.