1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery discharging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GALJohnson, May 3, 2024.

1. GALJohnson

GALJohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2009, spun out and hit a concrete wall on passenger side back corner. battery did not appear damaged, car started after being towed home and was able to back it into the driveway the next day. Pried wheel well away from the tire, and a day or two later and took a very short drive. Parked it about 5 or 6 days, and went to start it, and it would not come on. Battery was at 5 volts. Took the battery to AutoZone and they charged it, and when I picked it up the guy load checked it and said it only showed 60 percent power. So I got an new battery, put it in the car, drove it enough to find out that at faster than just rolling speeds it has a bumping sound in the right rear, and a grinding sound in the drivers side front. Parked it, and I was busy for several days. Came back to it last night and nothing. Battery was just below 6 volts. The braked unit that is back by the battery had been pulled apart but appeared to be undamaged except the case, but I suspect that may be the problem.

I just put the recharged battery in and hooked up the ground. I put my voltmeter, set on amps (10 to start) and showed no current. got al the way down to 20 milliamps but still showed no current. Is there something that, if the battery has been out of the car that normally pulls current when parked, but won't because the car hasn't been started since the battery was put back in? I currently have the brake unit unplugged, and the battery installed, but have not started the car. I'm going to check the battery voltage tonight and see if it is still close to the current voltage. If it is, I'm going to start the car and let it run for a couple of minutes, and shut it off, and check the battery again in the morning. If it's still not down, I guess I'll plug the brake unit back in and see if the voltage has dropped by tomorrow night.

At this point I'm just trying to get it to not drain the battery, then I'll check the rear noise (probably a tire with ply separation) and then the front noise, about which at this point I have no idea. It wasn't grinding before it hit the wall.

Thanks for any ideas anyone has.,

Anne

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Don't you connect the voltmeter between the positive terminal of the battery while it's disconnected and the positive terminal that is disconnected and leave the ground connected and then set your milliamps what have you I think that's how you set up for reading pull on the battery but don't say it so because I'm not sure but I think that's the way you make the connections with your test meter so you might want to take a look and see how you're I mean I guess you could use a clamp meter around the positive but it may not be sensitive enough your regular home Depot plant meter I don't know about that. What I do an instances where there's been accidents and this kind of funny business is at night or when I'm going to leave the car and not have time to play with it for a minute disconnect the battery I don't need to let it drained try to discover what's causing it because I'm just coming back to a drained car and I'm ruining the battery especially in AGM of this type and size so you should disconnect it until you figure out exactly what's happened The break thing next door to the battery You can just unplug it nobody will care at this point That's just the battery backup for your brakes or what have you hell you've got a wrecked car I don't think you went worry about battery backup for the brakes at the moment You got other things happen If it's not connected it can't drain most things are a dime a dozen you can get them everywhere for free from the junkyard they don't care about them not a fast moving part