1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery drop & slipping feel when car goes from gas to battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 48mpg, Nov 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    2005 prius with 172,000 miles had a rebuilt battery about a year ago and still holds a full charge when parked during the week..I drive this on weekends. When starting out the charge is still full (in the green).
    As I drive the car the first few miles the battery drops into the purple and slowly recharges to full again.
    When the car goes from gas to all electric theres a delay/slip and the battery rapidly discharges again than builds itself back up..
    It still gets around 45 mpg..
    could there be other bad cells or is this a CVT problem?
    (I doubt the fluid has ever been changed and I don't think there is a filter to clog)
    Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! your battery is bad again. where did you get it, and how long is the warranty?

3. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks,
    I had someone off craigs list redo it for $200 they replaced 2 cells (I forget the numbers)
    warranty? I guess it was until he left the driveway since his number is no longer in service ;)

you are correct Sir, I turned on the AC and let it drain the battery until the red triangle came on (it was the only way I could think of to quickly drain it while in the car) got error code P3019 & (!) on the LCD screen..

a google search says that code is battery mod #9..I assume I start counting from the drivers side where the cables connect to the car, 2 cells is one module, right?

Im going to try to rebuild it myself this time...ordering 2 cells off e bay now..
    Anything else I can check while I have it apart?

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you want to keep repairing it for cheap or spend a little more and have it last longer?

5. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    P3019 means battery block #9 is bad. A block is two modules. Each module has six cells. Individual cells are not replaceable. Block #9 is the 17th and 18th modules starting the count opposite the battery computer and cables. One of those modules is definitely bad. The other is no more likely to bad than any other module in the pack.

Brad

6. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I used the wrong term when I said cell..thank you for the info on where to start counting, I had that wrong as well...

with the price of gas below $2, the lower resale value of hybrid's right now and the age of the car Im going as cheaply as possible , I don't mind the labor, gives me something to do..but Thanks for the info.

#6 48mpg, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
    bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for that plan of action, wouldn't it be great if you could just remove the cover from the battery and replace a cell while its still in the car? all the best!(y)

8. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    thanks, I have the battery out..should I be concerned theres a whitish ash corrosion on most of the bolts holding it in and the cable to the battery?
    Im going to clean it with vinegar and baking soda but just checking if this is a sign of a charging problem or normal

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I first read this thread, I thought your car was normal as all Prius will drop SOC during the first few minutes of driving in the morning. But then you purposely drained the battery to the point where you may have damaged the weak module. What I don't understand is what LCD screen were you looking at that gave you P3019? There's no device built into the car that will diagnose the car this way.

Needless to say, if that P3019 appeared, you would need to replace the module(s) that's on that block.

10. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I wish it had a built in display for trouble codes and not the symbols as I mentioned it has the (!) on the MFD (I called it the LCD display)..the code is on my scanner.... not in the car
    anyway, pulled the battery and used a multi meter to read the voltages with out a load and they are all 7.83 to 7.86 most including the ones in block 9 are 7.85 each..im sure under load they will be the problem as the computer detected.

happy this isn't my daily driver as the battery's will not be here until Monday at the soonest.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm no expert, but it sounds like you need to disassemble and clean everything.

48mpg likes this.
  12. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    im going to clean all the copper jumpers, they are black.... ill give it one more try then go for a refurbished pack..i was wrong, this isn't worth doing again

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remember the block count starts from the end where the ecu is NOT located in. block 9 would be module 17 and 18.

14. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    first thing I did was number them as you mentioned. so I can swap them both..thanks

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    then you would hope the modules you bought are actually good modules or you'll be back to p3019 and not know why. Maybe put the NEW modules at 15 and 16?

16. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ill try that...after the car is back together Ill drive for about 30 mins with everything on and see if I get any error codes (of course Ill clear the old ones first) the e bay seller I ordered them from has good feed back so they should be OK, only $25 each with free shipping and Im guessing 3 hours total labor, sure beats $500 from someone off craigslist again.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you do go for a refurb, be very careful, and search here for experiences. warranty availability seems to be the most important since even refurbs have a fairly high failure rate. stay away from fly by nighters, especially the ones who come to your house to do the work.

18. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    true, that's who did it last time, but it lasted a year for $200 and I don't think the same mods failed again..so I cant blame that guy..10 year old car in the florida heat, so Im more prone to failures than people up north.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. actually, i'd be happy to pay $200. a year in your situation, as long as it didn't carp out while away from home.

20. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    the batteries can in yesterday afternoon and 3 hours later it seems fixed again..
    I could not get all the black stuff off the copper connectors but I cleaned the hole where it attaches to the posts..
    all the warning lights went out on their own but I cleared the codes with the scanner..
    drove it for about 20 mins this morning and all seem good...
    if it goes dead again Ill dig deeper as too the cause, all the mods cant be weak.
    oddly both the mods I removed are still reading 7.84 after sitting out of the pack so I guess they go bad under load.

#20 48mpg, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    bisco likes this.