1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery? Electrical system? Dealer recommendation?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robinsm, May 15, 2011.

1. robinsm

robinsm New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 Prius won't start for the first time in its 45,000 miles. First try only the malfunction indicator lamp went on. After a pause and a few tries later, the fuel gauge and gear indicator cluster flashed on and off while I was attempting to start (fuel indicator racing across its grid and gear indicators outlined with "dotted" lines -- tank is 1/2 full BTW). Later tries got no response except the malfunction lamp. I tried both keys in the ignition, also checked door lock functions, and found the keys will still lock the doors, but the click is noticeably weak and the unlock function doesn't work. I'm in Sacramento CA and have only been to Folsom Lake Toyota dealer with mixed results. Any advice on other self checks I can do or dealers I can trust would be very much appreciated! (I apologize for my lack of technical knowledge - much respect for the many well-informed posters here.)

2. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you have a bad 12v battery. If it has never been changed it is due for a change.there are a few links on here about an optima battery conversion with a kit to install it for i believe 180 dollars but from what ive read most dealers charge more than this for a oem Prius battery.

1 person likes this.
  3. ReadyForPrius

ReadyForPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try turning on the headlights. You'll probably find that they are weak and this will be proof that the 12V battery is close to dead.

In that case, replace the battery. The MSRP at Toyota dealer parts depts is supposed to be $138.70 but some may charge substantially more.

1 person likes this.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like your 12v battery is dying. I've had decent service at Folsom Lake and Magnusson in Auburn.

The batteries is easy to swap. If you need help let me know. I live in Woodland but work in Auburn.

1 person likes this.
  6. robinsm

robinsm New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To all of you, my thanks and gratitude. I just got back in from checking the headlights (nearly dead as Patrick suggested) and running the test that jp referred me to on this page: [FONT=arial, helvetica]Prius battery test procedure for 2004 to 2010 Prius Cars[/FONT] - page also suggested by stefano. I have only a glimmer of what it means, but after running the test (and finding voltage in accessory mode to be ~11.5 and lower), I do understand that it's the 12V battery. And then...(bugles blowing)...the car started! I drove around for about 20 minutes hoping for a charge strong enough to get me to a garage tomorrow. More confident now, I may make the trek to Folsom Lake Toyota tomorrow - provided it starts again! Your suggestions may not seem extraordinary to you, but to me they are miraculous!

7. robinsm

robinsm New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The instructions for the battery check were right on - Thank you very much for the perfect referral!

8. robinsm

robinsm New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you also for your offer of help. I'll see if I can get in for service early tomorrow.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    20 minutes is not sufficient to do much 12V battery charging, and it is not necessary to "drive around". When the Prius is READY, the 12V battery will charge at the same rate whether the car is traveling at 70 mph or 0 mph.

Several hours of charging might help the battery, and it is only necessary to leave the Prius READY and parked in your driveway (unless you want to go somewhere.)

10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please do share the details of your invoice. There has been a part number change and some dealers are charging ridiculous amounts, like $284 for the battery and $100 for installation. It may be possible to get it for $138 from the parts counter, though, and then take F8L up on his very generous offer.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hook up a trickle charger & see if you can boost it up a bit. If not, just jump start & drive to the dealer after ensuring they have a battery at a reasonable price. Before leaving their lot check the voltages of the new battery.