1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery fan, master warning light, low mpg in cite

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by gemiao, Aug 30, 2007.

1. gemiao

gemiao New Member

Hello everyone

I've been reading this forum a lot recently and find it's just become one of my hobbies to log in and read some massages here.

I'm a NHW10 owner and recently discovered some issues of my car.
    I had a master warning light came on about a month ago and I've been keeping driving my car since without problem. There are couple of times that the 288v battery been fully charged by engine but nothing like this below.

I was driving to shopping center today and on the way back, I noticed that my ICE wasn't stopping at all even after the ice totally warmed up. After about 20 minus driving from shopping center back home, I let the engine keep running, because I just wanted to see when it's gonna stop. I switched screen into energy mode while waiting for the ice to stop. I realized the engine are charging main battery all the time and the battery was showing fully charged, the green bar are at very top of the battery icon. I also heard the battery fan was fully running. I live in New Zealand, it is winner here at the moment, the outside temp is 14C according to the car temp sensor. As I said above, the battery has been fully charged by ICE before but the battery fan has never come on.

Was the car trying to condition the battery or the car's gone craze. And I also noticed that the car has really good mpg running on the high way (59 mpg) and in the city, it will go down to 30ish.

BTW, It was a rainy day when the master warning light come on, I am not quite sure if the water on my shoes short some circuit. I was going to send to car to dealer to check out, but due to it is generation one, there is only one tester available in whale New Zealand so the car has to wait for couple of months. :(

Can anyone help me please

Many thanks

Michael

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a lot of us here with a lot of familiarity with the NHW10 Prius, though you may get a few good/helpful responses.

I'd encourage you to check out a couple of Yahoo! sites that may be helful
    Prius MK1
    Prius Australia
    Good luck, I am a little concerned your battery may be the issue here, but please consult with those with more experience with that model Prius before doing anything radical.

3. gemiao

gemiao New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 30 2007, 11:45 PM) [snapback]504232[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for your suggestion, I just went there and read some messages and found they are having problems that close to mine.

you've been really helpful.

Thanks again

Michael