1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Fan

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bnaccs, Sep 20, 2011.

1. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How often should the battery fan run in the back seat of the Prius. I never have really noticed mine until about 8,000 miles.. It seems to run a lot, even shortly after start up.

2. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Also I tend to not run the A/C that much. Does having a hotter interior cause the fan to come on or hurt the battery in any way?

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The battery fan runs based on internal temperature sensors of the HV battery. The fan is also variable speed and you probably cannot hear it when it is running low speeds. If the fan is running when the ambient temp is hot and the cabin is hot, this is normal. The battery is trying to protect itself.

If you run the AC in hot weather and keep the cabin comfortable then the battery temp should be comfortable. In hot weather the fan will run until the cabin temps cool down.

If the fan runs a lot even when the ambient temperatures are cool, you may want to take it to the dealer to make sure you are not having some internal issues with the HV battery.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, the cabin air is used to cool the batteries. So, you really want to keep the cabin cool so the batteries stay cool.

5. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found that the fan comes on if there's heavy draw or heavy.... push? to the battery. ie, when I'm not driving gently, or driving through the mountains in PA...

-Iain

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good point. Any heavy current draw, both charging and discharging, produces heat in the battery and will also cause the battery fan to run more often and at higher speeds.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HV battery fan has 6 speeds (including off). If you are hearing it, it is running pretty hard. Turn on the AC. If the interior temp is not comfortable, neither is the HV battery.

1 person likes this.