1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Hell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ElizaDay, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ElizaDay

ElizaDay New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have a 2001 Prius which has been very good to me until today. I was driving and saw the warning sign. I immediately had it towed to the Toyota dealership. They told me the main battery and the auxillary battery needed to be replaced but not to worry, it was covered under warranty. What a relief that was. They supposedly replaced it and I left. I really felt like the universes was looking out for me.

Then the warning light came back on as I was leaving. I took the car back in and he took the paperwork (which stated it was under warranty and replaced), came back a few minutes later and said "whoops. Sorry, the batteries actually weren't replaced and you're not under warranty because you're over 100k miles. (I'm at 131).

I asked him how much it would cost. He replied with $5,000. I still owe $7,000 on the car.

So, first off, is it normal for both batteries to simultaneously go out? Somebody suggested that I should get the auxillary battery replaced and have the engine reset. This is all very foreign to me but I wanted some feedback. This person seemed to think that it may NOT be the main battery and that Toyota is trying to pull one over on me.

Any suggestions? I'm so devastated that I might actually have to file bankruptcy because there's no way I can come up with 5k.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's normal for the auxiliary battery to have been replaced more than once for a car as old as yours. As for the HV battery, many last much longer than your mileage, but it's not unheard of for one to die at that age and mileage, just as it's not uncommon to replace a transmission on a normal car when it gets that long in the tooth. Not fun, but not that unusual either.

I'd replace the auxiliary battery and see how it does.

Tom

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How long ago did you buy it? Do you know how long it might have sat without being driven?

The auxillary battery is the first to replace but the traction battery doesn't surprise me. Florida heat is rough on traction batteries.

Are you able to do your own maintenance?

Bob Wilson

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Talk to Bob Wilson. He has fixed 2001 batteries before and can help you (He is good people).

JeffD

5. ElizaDay

ElizaDay New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks for your responses. I bought the car two years ago in California. I've only been in Florida a year so is that long enough to cause any detrimental damage on the battery? I drive it just about everyday.

I'm at a complete and total loss. Does anybody know of a reliable repair shop that works on Prius in the Tampa Bay area? I took my car to the same toyota about a month ago and had it checked out. They said it was fine except for a cracked engine belt and they recommended I have the fuel injectors cleaned. I did both (charged on credit card because I am in a financial black hole right now which is why I'm freaking out about the 5k).

So, for anybody who knows about the auxillary engine. This guy I spoke to in LA said that having only that replaced and having the "engine reset" (whatever that means) could solve the problem. Does that make sense? I'm clueless.

Thanks for responding.

6. ElizaDay

ElizaDay New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Btw, Unfortunately I don't know anything about mechanics. I called Pep Boys and the guy screeched when I asked him if he could put in a new battery and insisted that I HAD to take it to Toyota but wouldn't Toyota jack the price more than any other mechanic?

7. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    auxillary battery. not auxillary engine. have the small (12v) battery replaced, see if that fixes it.

if not, get price quotes at another dealer - 5K seems a bit too high - i thought it was in the 3500 range for a traction battery.

as others said, this isn't too surprising for 7 years / 131k miles. other prii have gone further, sure, but 7 years is getting a bit old for a battery.
    there are several other active threads at the moment about Gen 1 batteries - you might read through those.

sometimes salvage batteries pop up on ebay , due to wrecks , but i'm not sure i'd trust a used gen 1 battery, due to its age.

good luck.

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Eliza,

You might appeal to Toyota. There were some battery recalls done on your vintage Prius. If your car never was brought in for those service(s?), then they may give you a break on the replacement cost of the battery.

Also, since the car was original a CARB (California Air Resources Board) car bought in a CARB state, the waranty may be longer than 100K. The present generation Prius has a 125K mile traction battery waranty. But its an improved design. CARB mandates 150K miles waranties on all emissions reducing equipment. The California traction battery waranty is 150K for the present Prius. I bet yours might be as well.

The older generation Prius was not produced in as large a volumes, and the battery is larger than the present generation Prius, thus the cost of replacement is about twice what a present Prius battery replacement cost is.

In standard cars, the starter battery lasts about 5 years, without too much cold or heat stress. Your car is 7 years old now. So, that auxiliary battery could be expected to go any time. And apparently it has. If you lived in the desert areas of California, well, the battery has probably seen heat stress. And its lucky to have lasted this long. Ask the Phoenix and Minnesota people how long their starter batteries last!

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Heat is the enemy of the traction battery. What part of California?
    We need to seriously discuss options.

• Do you have alternate transportation to work?
    • Do you have a covered place to work on the car?
    • Do you have metric tools and volt ohm meter?
    • Can you handle 80 lbs of traction battery or have a friend to help?
    Replacing the auxillary battery is a "Hail Mary" pass. It might work but I'd like to suggest a cheaper solution:

• Get a flat screw driver, metric sockets and volt ohm meter
    • Open the trunk and remove the left side liner[​IMG]
    • remove the cover, disconnect the ground wire, measure battery voltage using a scale to measure 12 VDC
    • remove the battery holder (do not drop the nut!)
    • remove the B+ (red) terminal
    • disconnect the battery drain tube and remove auxillary battery
    • using the flat screw driver, remove the "Do Not Remove" sticker but keep it so you can put it back on
    • pry open the flat plastic cover
    • open the six filler plugs and pour in a small amount of distilled water, just enough to barely cover the plates (slowly)
    • put the plugs back in
    • put the flat plastic cover on
    • put the "Do Not Remove" sticker back on
    • re-install the battery and drain tube
    • DO NOT DROP THE NUT, put the battery holding assembly back on
    • clean terminal and re-connect the B+ (red) terminal
    • do one quick 'sanity check' to make sure everything looks OK
    • clean the negative terminal and install the ground cable, measure the battery voltage again
    • put the liner back in
    • Start the car ... you may need a jump if it doesn't start right away.
    This is a fairly simple set of steps but it also let's you see about 1/5th of what it takes to replace the traction battery. If this task is beyond your skills, then we have to make some harder decisions.

Bob Wilson

ps. GOOD CATCH! Yes, California Prius have a 150,000 mile traction battery warranty! You may be in LUCK! Nothing on the auxillary battery but you have a chance on the traction battery!

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your Welcome...

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dear friends,

- Classic Prius (i.e., 2001-2003 model years) have an 8 year/100K mile traction battery warranty, across all 50 states.

- A 2G Prius sold in CA but moved to a non-PZEV state will not benefit from the CA traction battery warranty.

12. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you truly need a traction battery I would buy used. Generally it is one or two cells in the battery that are bad. If you could have them tested you could buy these cells for around $50 (each) from XVIPERS on ebay. They are also selling complete traction batteries for your model for $1395 from their web-site. I know the owner. He tests everything before shipping and guarantees his product.

XVIPERS : 2001-2003 TOYOTA PRIUS BATTERY HV

AutoBeYours also sells used battery and cells. They might be able to give you a good deal also. I'm not terribly familiar with them but they seem to have a good reputation for being honest.

04 and newer Prius Parts Cars

Good Luck!

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I work in Tampa..live in Clearwater. Be aware that most Toyota dealers in this area are notorious lying sacks of sh*t. Its bad 'round these parts.They should all wear stage coach robber masks. Be aware that since car sales are so weak..even Toyota (there truck sales are tanking at an all time low) they look to the service center as a profit center more then ever. Nothing better than a lady in a sick Prius. I present as exhibit A the "whoops we didn't replace it after all...hehe...that'll be $5000 please". Thats outrageous....unless your the dope here and got it all wrong. Keep your wits about you here as your about to be hosed.

Do not believe a word they tell you and you won't be far away from the truth. Second...third opinion...until you stumble upon an honest person.
    Good luck.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your Classic had consistently been good to you and went out
    relatively suddenly, chances are that your main pack is still
    fine. They generally start acting up over a much longer timeframe,
    as you can see in several other reports hereabouts. A weak 12V,
    on the other hand, can make many things wack out in short order
    and generally a new 12V battery fixes all that right up.
    I'd say [as others have] get a good solid 12V in there and then
    do more testing and observation.
    _H*

15. ElizaDay

ElizaDay New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks so much for the tip about CARB battery having an extended warranty. This just may be my best bet. I need to find a document or something online that states this so I can bring it to Toyota. They are probably unaware of this (I was). Btw, I lived in Los Angeles.

Thanks Bob, but that is way too complicated for me. I have never worked on a car and I'm afraid to make things worse w/ the Prius. And, incidentally I don't have a place to work.

16. ElizaDay

ElizaDay New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks, Hobbit (I just noticed your post. I'm a little braindead. This thing has kept me up all night).

this morning I called Toyota and told them about the CARB act and how I should be covered up to 150k miles. He looked into it and told me that it was only for 2004/2005 Prius. I have looked all over the web. Is this true? I would think it would be retroactive to cover all priuses since the older batteries are inferior than the newer ones.

Anybody know this? If it is covered, I'm so out of the woods.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You've checked the papers, owner's manual and stuff that came with the car? But Patrick would be the expert on battery warranty since he had his replaced under warranty.

I had to offer the idea. However, the Toyota battery replacement is expensive, just under $200.

Bob Wilson

18. ElizaDay

ElizaDay New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius

19. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since your car has 131K miles, it definitely no longer has warranty coverage on the traction battery or any other part. Look in the warranty book (which hopefully is in your glove compartment); there's no need to guess about this.

2004+ Prius are certified as AT-PZEV compliant. This is the reason that the traction battery installed in those vehicles has a 10 year/150K mile warranty, when sold in CA and other PZEV states.

2001 - 2003 Prius are not certified as AT-PZEV compliant; hence the traction battery warranty is 8 years/100K miles. It would make zero business sense for Toyota to unilaterally extend the warranty on those vehicles beyond that period.

You can try installing a new 12V auxiliary battery first. However it would not surprise me if your traction battery had indeed failed. When the battery on my 2001 failed, it was an overnight failure. One day the car was driving great; the next morning the dashboard was a Christmas tree.

Sorry to hear that this problem will be so costly to repair. The battery MSRP should be < $3,000 and it should cost $400 or so for labor. Perhaps if you call the various dealers in your area you may be able to find a better repair price?

I'm also sorry to hear that this problem will cause you significant financial hardship. Frankly, an older Prius is a very bad used car purchase for an owner who is not able to pay for very expensive out-of-warranty repairs. What if the transaxle, the very unique catalytic converter with HCAC chamber, or the electric steering gear fail on you two months from now?