1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery help in detail, please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sihuston, Sep 9, 2006.

1. sihuston

sihuston New Member

I only had my 2006 Prius for 2 weeks when I had to go away for a week. Of course, the battery is dead. I have a charger. The book is useless as it assumes prior knowledge which I don't have. It also assumes the car wiill be jumped and has no help for using a charger. Many thanks to the person who wrote that I just had to squeeze the fuse box cover. Then I realized that I just need the battery, not the fuses. Will someone please give me some detailed help?!

I have torn the trunk apart. I can't get the trunk lid to open. It unlatches but still won't open so I have to climb from the front seat. Anyhow I have everything out and hope I can get it all back together. I can see the battery. There is a complicated plastic cover on it. I have no clue how to get it off easily to get to the terminal.

How do I get the cover off? Does anyone have any guidance on exactly how to attach the clips? I could use some pictures but will settle for more than "remove the cover" in text. I'm a novice with just enough knowledge to make me dangerous.

Thanks for your kind guidance.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is this a serious post? Your 12V battery shouldn't go dead in a week, not on a new Prius. Was there some sort of drain? If your battery is dead, how did you tear the trunk apart? You can't open the hatch without the battery. Did you crawl through from the inside?

Okay, I'll assume this is legit. To charge or jump the 12V battery, you use the post inside the fuse box. Open the box (which you now know how to do) and attach the red (+) side to the post. The black (-) attaches to any bare metal ground point. You don't need to get to the battery.

The 12V battery only needs to supply enough power to boot the computers, so you should be able to start right away with a boost.

Tom

3. sihuston

sihuston New Member

This is serious. I am not a mechanic. I'm totally new to the Prius. I just got back from Spain and am jet lagged and need to use the car in the morning. I read the book. I read the posts on this forum. They are confusing to a novice. I don't appreciate the condescension.

But thanks for telling me I can use the post in the fuse box. I'll do that now. Then try to put the car back together after driving a bit to charge the battery.

4. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 9 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]317085[/snapback]</div>

Question:
    1) They tell me that the 12 volt battery is a sealed battery and that I should not worry about any gases that are produced. However, I have see posts where the high voltage battery terminals would corrode. Nornally the HS gases from the "standard" lead acid batteries corrode the terminals. Were we miss led?

2) So if the 12 volt batter is used for the computer, what cranks the engine? The high voltage battery?

3) What supplies the accessories like radio, wipers, lights. I am assuming that the fan, heat and a/c are bing supplied by the high voltage battery.

Newbie, so please be gentle. BTW, this chat group ROCKS!

I am getting my Silver 2006 Prius this week. No later than Sept 17, 2006.

Thanks!!!!

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard_working_student @ Sep 9 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]317158[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the 12V battery is a sealed lead-acid type. It's a small battery, about the size used for a motorcycle. The traction battery is NiMh, much like you find in cell phones and other cordless devices, only a LOT bigger. Any corrosion would be incidental, not from fumes.

The high voltage traction battery cranks the engine. There is no normal stater, just MG1 and MG2, which are used to crank the engine, provide motor drive, generate electricity, and regen braking.
    Accessories like radio, wipers, and lights run from the 12V system, as well as the computers. All high-draw items, such as a/c, run from the high voltage system. Once the Prius boots, 12V is supplied from a step-down converter from the high voltage system. This also charges the 12V battery.

Tom

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard_working_student @ Sep 9 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]317158[/snapback]</div>
    I just wanted to point out that if you're talking about the 12V Aux battery, it is NOT considered "High Voltage." Most folks talk of the traction battery as "HV" but ceratinly not the Aux!.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard_working_student @ Sep 9 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]317158[/snapback]</div>
    A few of the previous generation Prius (which looks like a sedan) had problems with cells of the HV battery having corrosion problems. No reported problems in the current model.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    To the original poster, once you boost the 12 volt system enough to get the Prius into 'ready mode', you need only leave it there to accomplish battery recharging. You do not have to drive anywhere.

For your battery to discharge in 1 week suggests that some light was left on, or that there is too much 'parasitic drain' in your car, or that the 12 volt battery was previously abused. Possibly before you took possession of the car. At your convenience take it to a Toyota shop and have them load test that battery. If it is below specifications, they are supposed to replace it under warranty. If they are clever enough to measure the parasitic drain, they could eliminate that possibility as well. It is supposed to be on the order of 30 or 40 milliamps.