1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by skyfield, Apr 11, 2008.

1. skyfield

skyfield New Member

I went out to my car (2002 Prius) today to check the odometer for a potential new car insurance policy. The electronic panel came up with the reading and the normal things happened as I checked the odometer. About two hours later, I heard the car alarm going off, I was told later that this is a warning of low battery, when the alarm sounds sick as it goes off. SOOOO, I guess my auxiliary battery is low. When I turn the key now, nothing happens at all and the locks are sluggish to lock. Can I charge the battery as I would a non-hybrid car battery? The manual is scaring me--hydrogen emissions, etc, etc, so that I do not feel confident doing it. Any advice here would help--take it to a mechanic or just charge it myself off another car?

Thanks!

P.S. AND, what might have lead to this happening?!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the 12v battery that died. You can change it or try to charge it. If it's the original battery, it's time to get a new one.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I inadvertently drained my 12v once.:lie:
    Ok, twice. :rolleyes:

Hoefully, you've gotten the car to settle down. That is shut off and everything. Just let it sit for a while. Don't touch it for several hours. Perhaps even wait until tomorrow. Then go out and try it again.

This worked for me. I was seeing exactly what you saw, let the car sit for several hours, and when I went out to try it again, it came on. Now granted, it's not like it jumped up like a kitten at feeding time, but it powered up. And after driving the car around for a while, the 12v recharged and I haven't had a problem with it since.

I'm due for a battery replacement soon, but I'm sure draining it didn't help much.

4. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Prius has a high falluten VRLA battery. "Valve Regulated Lead Acid" battery. While it is still a lead acid battery like most automobiles the VRLA signifantly reduces hydrogen emissions which are extremely flamable. Since the battery is mounted in an enclosed space there is a risk of hydrogen build up. The only other vehicle that has a VRLA battery was the Mazda Miata. There are less expensive replacements for the Mazda that have been modified to be used on the Prius. In the end you might save about $50 to go non Toyota. I' m not sure it is worth the hassle.

You might have left the car "ON" which drained the battery. Give it a jump (as explained in the owners manual) and see if it holds a charge.