1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery in Smart Key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ronjlang, Dec 13, 2005.

1. ronjlang

ronjlang New Member

:huh:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About a year, give or take.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    really? I thought it was 2 yrs.

I'm still on my original battery for our 02 Camry's keyless fob.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    gee arent they like 7 year lithium?? or something like that?

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had to replace one battery at around 14 months. Then I got 2 new fobs when I went through the rigamarole of getting the new SKS about 13 months ago. I'm still on those same batteries.

I think it depends a bit on how often you drive the car and such. Remember, where your traditional keyless entry only requires the battery to be used 2 times per trip (once to unlock, once to lock), the SKS has more sustained use...as you approach the car it begins sending signals, until you unlock. Then when you get inside it's sending signals until you start the car. No signal required to lock of course.

I'm not saying some won't get 2 years, but I doubt many will go beyond that and I'm pretty sure Toyota says it's supposed to be good for only a year or so.

6. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Have you replaced yours Evan? My '05 had just it's one-year "birthday."

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Y'know, I was just thinking about this.

Had noticed the little red light when I used the buttons on the fob to unlock the door, and suddenly wondered if they indicated low battery.

I know -- I'll read the manual. :)

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i thought the light was to let you know the fob was working...i believe my red light has worked from day one. the SKS explanation definitely makes sense

9. tag

tag Senior Member

I think I'll replace mine this week then. I've had the original battery in my main fob since May '04.........I'm probably pushing my luck.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

oh oh all four fobs have origional batterys in them. This is going to be and expensive weekend.

11. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

The red light is only a range indicator, and as such only a range indicator as to when 'ready' can be achieved -- thus, it should only blink when actually IN your car, and then only for 30 seconds. I just saw this posted...

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my red light only lights up when i push one of the buttons... at least im pretty sure of that. i have been sitting here staring at mine for about 3 minutes now and it has done nothing.

13. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Huh -- didn't notice that, 'cause I've never pressed a button. ;)

Looks like it blinks when you press a button, or it is inside your car within 30 seconds after you open the driver's door... ('ready' range indicator)

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll only blink red when you're within range

Evan, alright I'll keep an eye on it. It's been a year and a month already.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guys, I wouldn't worry about replacing them just b/c I said 1 year. Go ahead and buy the replacement batteries to have on hand, but you can always still get in the car even if the battery dies and always still drive the car too.

I'd assume that there's a lot of variation in the life of the battery depending upon how much it's used. The guy with 4 fobs probably only one of those is used regularly. Maybe he'll get 2 years of life out of the other 3.

Like I said, buy the spare batteries so you don't have to suffer for more than a day without the SKS, but otherwise it's no rush.

Also, I found that my sks quit working before the remote unlock button did (got maybe 2 uses) when my battery went south...I didn't even have to use my mechanical key as I could tell the battery was dieing.

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I believe I'm still using the Primary fob, and while I had a false-alarm this past Summer thinking it needed a new battery, so far so good as two years approaches.

Perhaps it's like watch batteries: they say X number of alarm beeps per day plus Y uses of backlight equals Z years of life. So if one doesn't use the remote much and just fobs through life, the battery keeps going and going and going and...

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well at least a year and four months. I think I will get a battery and put it in the glove box.

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Purchased the car in August 9 2004, so that's what, a year and 4 months? Hmm, I have been getting occasional weird beeps lately when trying to lock via SKS. May be that the battery is getting low.

The red light lights whenever the fob transmits. It will transmit if you press a button, or when an SKS oscillator in/on the car tells it to.

Whatever you do, don't press the button more than 250 times while out of range or else you will need to have the dealer re-pair it. They'll need the other fob.

19. tag

tag Senior Member

$10 USD for four of them, maybe. Don't know how much they gouge you for these things in Canada. :lol:

Anyway, did anyone else have a problem getting those tiny screws out and back in? I had to use an eyeglass kit; those screws are really tiny and they're Phillips.

20. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too many different posts I want to comment on so no quotes just observations.
    1. The red light on the fob does light, or rather flash predictably, when you are in range and the fob and car are in communication.
    2. The red light should also flash if you use the buttons on the fob to lock or unlock the vehicle.
    3. The battery is a CR2032 (large button battery). You can get one at just about any drug store, mass merchant, discounter, electronics store, Radio Shack. No need to go to a Toyota dealer to get one. The goal is the lowest price because a CR2032 is basically the same no matter where you get it.
    4. My car is just a few days over a year old and there are no signs that the fob that I use is suffering from a low battery.
    5. I wouldn't recommend buying a battery and storing it. Batteries do have a shelf life. Better to buy one the moment you are going to use it because at least the time between manufacturer and installation is the least it is going to be.
    6. Remote unlock will operate much longer than SKS because the power needs are much more limited. Only a transmission with a single press of the button rather than a longer duration communication with the vehicle.