1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery/inverter problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AustinP, Aug 9, 2010.

1. AustinP

AustinP New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a 2004 Prius with 166,000 miles. It had been performing fine until last weekend.

The car has been at times having almost no accerleration with the battery indicator showing almost discharged; a couple of minutes later everything is fine, a few minutes later while driving the problem might recur.

My wife took it to our closest Toyota dealer (60 miles) today & it drove fine.

They took four hours & still can't diagnose the problem. They say "it might be the battery, it might be the inverter" & say they want to submit data to Toyota engineers to determine.

The weird thing is, they are claiming the car could quit anytime, while driving, and think we should take a rental while they keep the car. We took our car back.

Has anyone heard of a hybrid just quitting while driving?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, your own story provides sufficient evidence that your car might "quit anytime", since you say that at times the car shows "almost no acceleration" and the battery SOC is close to or at no bars. If you do a search you'll find a few stories where Prius owners were left on the side of the road.

When the traction battery on my 2001 died, the car was driveable but barely so, enough for me to drive slowly on surface streets to my local dealer.

When the engine and hybrid vehicle ECUs on my 2004 became flaky, the car would slowly accelerate and it was scary to drive the car 30 miles to the dealer over local freeways where the speed limit was 75 mph and I could barely proceed at 40-50. In retrospect it probably would have been better for me to have had the car towed.

I wouldn't recommend embarking upon a long road trip, given your car's current condition. Given your description of the car's behavior, no one in good conscience could suggest that you continue to drive it, since it might have a flaky moment at a time when you are in a dangerous spot and need it to perform.

Were any DTC logged by your car? If so, please post them.

3. AustinP

AustinP New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's 3 days and $400 & several tests and consultations with engineers later, and they think it is a problem with the shift not fully engaging in "drive" & that they've fixed it. If true it'll save us a lot of money. Here's hoping.

We have to take Route 66 through some very empty desert this weekend. I don't want to do it in my no-a/c Tacoma, but I don't want to break down out there either. We have one day to drive around and see how it behaves first.

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update.

What was done for $400? Were any parts replaced; if so please provide the part number and description.

A very good idea to log some miles on the car, before you embark on your road trip. Probably would be a good idea to bring along your cellphone, water and other items in the event of an emergency. Good luck.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, what happened?

The correct choice here was to either rent something for the trip, or not go.

6. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, I have no idea but how can the shift be partially engaged into drive?

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was thinking exactly the same thing Charles. The shift to "drive" is not a physical thing in the prius, it's really just an ECU "state".

Their explaination sounds very much like "hey we're clueless about what was wrong, customer's cluless too, so let's just make up some BS story to justify the $400.00".

8. AustinP

AustinP New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So after having for a week and consulting with Toyota engineers they have decided that they do not know what is causing the problem, and didn't charge us for the failed diagnostic.

When we make our cross-State trip one of will drive the Prius and the other will follow in one of our other cars.

We're closing on a house and preparing to move,; the Prius is either goign to make a succesful round-trip or get dropped off at a dealership in Tucson or Phoenix, which I hope may have more Prius expertise than the boondocks where I am now.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the Prius fails near Tucson, Precision Toyota would be a good place to stop at.

10. AustinP

AustinP New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    we still have a 1991 pickup we got from there! If it fails anywhere near Tucson that's where AAA is going to take it.

11. RikMoore

RikMoore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 Prius decelerated and all the warning lights came on 2 weeks ago they told me it was the inverter pump and replaced it. Monday it did the same thing again and this time they told me it gave another error code and think it might be oil over flow into the valves. I told them to wait and let's see what error code it gave if it happens again.

12. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If you post the codes there are knowledgeable members who can help deciphering. Good luck! :)

13. AustinP

AustinP New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: we just drove the 2004 Prius from the OP on a 1,000-mile road trip last week, & other than our being afraid to run the AC, it behaved fine.

Maybe a little sluggish topping long, stepp hills (maybe our imagination).

Maybe using the accessory 12-V outlet drained the battery more than it should (maybe our imagination).

14. txtwister45

txtwister45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2010 Prius that I bought in April. We went on a 7 day cruise the first of this month. I made sure the a/c was off, nothing plugged into the chargers, keys with me...all the precautions. I come back to a deader than a hammer battery. On a Sunday no less. Trying to call some one to give us a jump. Was able to get the car started by reading the manuel and the car storage people jumping the battery for us. I went to the dealer and they said that 5 - 7 days was the most I could let the car sit before it would die 100%. If I had known that I could have been better prepared. It was a shock to say the least when your 500 miles away from home to find this out.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm surprised to hear about this as I thought that 3G Prius was less susceptible to that particular problem. What was the outcome; did you get a new 12V battery under warranty?