1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dan1520, Aug 17, 2010.

1. dan1520

dan1520 Junior Member

We spend summers away and our 06 Prius stays in the garage. I connect a battery minder and it keeps the 12v battery charged with no problem. I also turn off the switch under the steering column that works with the remote.

When I started the car after two months and driving for a few blocks, I noticed the MFD showed the battery at a low of two purple lines. After a while, it charges up normally. The car has 47000 miles and the 12 v battery has never been changed. Would that have something to do with it or am I being concerned over nothing?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two bars on the traction battery SOC gauge can be considered normal.

However if that concerns you, you could force charge the traction battery before the next time the car is stored. Make the car READY, shift to D, press the brake pedal with your left foot so the car won't move, then floor the accelerator pedal with your right foot.

Since the car can't move, the gasoline engine spins MG1 to charge the traction battery. As the battery gains charge, you'll note the engine rpm will start to slow down. Use of this procedure is at your risk since the transaxle may overheat. Good luck.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In other words, don't worry about it :_>