1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Issues But What Type

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Swiperswipes, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Swiperswipes

Swiperswipes New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Last night when I went to go home from work my car doors wouldn't open properly. (My key battery was replaced recently and usually I get a notification from the car when that is an issue.) The car then wouldn't start at all. When it finally started, the car had somehow reset, the mileage had changed to kilometers and the clock was off. I live in Los Angeles. Any ideas as to what the issue is or where to take it? I do not like my dealer and the hybrid place in Hollywood's website states that they do not do 2010s. Also, many on this site and others seem to be thinking that if it is the hybrid battery, reconditioned is no longer the way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

#1 Swiperswipes, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's possible that the car's 12V battery has died. The Prius has a 12V battery, but it is smaller than ordinary car batteries.

Amazon sells the correct battery. If you want to shop locally, look for the Optima DS46B24R. You can also buy a battery at your Toyota dealer, and the local auto parts store might have one.

You may be able to jump start your car, but if you do, be extremely careful to connect Red to Positive and Black to Ground on both cars. If you reverse these you'll cause very expensive damage to your Prius.