1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery keeps dying

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vysse, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Vysse

Vysse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my 12v dies constantly and I have kind of figured out why but am confused about it nonetheless. Basically I leave my headlights on but they usually auto turn off. Why would they be draining my battery if they're off? I do not know why I keep forgetting to turn them off other then they used to not be an issue so I got in the harbit of not doing it. Any advice? Also which battery should I get and from where?

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I leave mine on and they turn off when I turn the car off and open the drivers door. Your's doesn't?

Is the car driven frequently (everyday)? If not, it could be the SKS draining it. Toyota knows this is an issue and provides an OFF button on the lower dash underneath the steering wheel.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This should not be enough to drain a healthy battery. I would suggest with a 2009 it's time to change out the 12 VDC battery. Even a healthy battery takes a hit on life span every-time it's drained to the point of needing a jump. Average life is 4-5 years.

kenoarto likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get a new oem from a dealer. shop around for price.

6. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 12V battery is acting up as well. I have SKS. Sometimes it's barely enough to get the car started and other times it's just fine. I also get random messages about a problem with parking motor (I read that is also a symptom of weak 12V battery). It is doing okay and has not left us stranded yet, but it's definitely not super healthy. I have Torque Pro and that shows 14V - 14.2V while the car is on (normal) and sometimes when I shut the car off I get (GASP!) 10V. However even with 10V displaying in the Torque the car starts and drives just fine.

I am definitetly planning to replace the 12V battery what with New England winter (maybe) coming. I decided on Optima Yellow Top. It is supposed to be a deep cycle battery, which should be better for this type of application. They are pricey, but less expensive than Toyota. I found one for $166 delivered from Jaggs, but they are out of stock until end of December. I placed an order and it should be here in the beginning of the new year.

Am I making a mistake? is the Toyota branded battery the way to go here? If so why?

P.S. I do not know how old my battery is. There is a good chance it's original because I have not seen any records of replacement from the PO who was the only owner. I should get in there and try to find a date code on it, shouldn't I...

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The 'advantage' of the Toyota Truestart battery is a 84 month (prorated) warranty.

Other than that, it is just another S46B24R battery.

8. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is the Toyota brand battery AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt)? I am pretty sure Optima is, which makes it more desirable. And Optima is advertised as "Deep Cycle", which is also a bit more desirable seeing how Prii tend to drain the 12V with various (small) loads when parked. SKS is of particular concern. I guess if my '07 still has an original battery (albeit on its last leg) I have nothing to complain about. But I am not 100% certain it's original. I am pretty sure it's a Toyota battery. My wife is out with the car right now (I am relegated to our beloved, but old '93 Volvo 940 wagon) and I can't check the date code.

Since most of the replacement 12V batteries for the Prius are really expensive I am going to assume that they are AGM or some sort of gel technology batteries rather than acid sloshing against lead plates kind.

9. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, all real Prius batteries are AGM, as (up to Gen 4) the battery is in the passenger compartment with humans, so you want to minimize the amount of battery acid to fly out. They also have weird JIS posts, rather than the more normal SAE posts.

VFerdman likes this.
  10. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the answer. I figured as much. I have heard really good things about Optima and I found one for $166 on Jeggs website. The only problem is it ships at the end of December (and probably arrives next year). Everywhere else I saw it it's in the $250 range. Seems like a big difference and I am a bit suspicious... I really like the idea of rolls of lead/acid rather than flat sheets. Seems you can get a lot more surface area that way and increase the capacity of the battery while keeping the dimensions about the same. Also, at $166 it seems like a great deal.

11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    VF,

Try going to the autozone website. Enter your car info and do a search for battery. They offer the (Prius) Optima for $185. Your location shows western Mass, so I plugged in zipcode 01060 and it's showing the store at 373 Northampton Rd, Amherst has one in stock available for purchase. I wouldn't wait long, as one episode of "stuck on the side of the road" or "came out of the store and my car is dead" quickly makes a new battery look cheap in hindsight. Especially if the wife is the one stuck.......

fotomoto and jerrymildred like this.