1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery keeps going orange and I get car with ! displayed.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusUK, May 11, 2006.

1. PriusUK

PriusUK New Member

I live in the UK and have had a Prius for over 2 years. I have never had a problem until now.
    It was registered in December 98 and has been imported into the UK from Japan.

The dealer I bought the car assured me that he had an engineer that could work on these cars and that there would not be any problems. 2 years on I get a warning icon of a car with an explanation mark and a warning red triangle and notice my battery is going orange and a loss of speed. The car drops from say 40 mph to about 20 mph.

If I pull the car over put it in park the battery charges and everything seems fine again. After a while the error disappears. Then maybe 10 miles later ding! red trianlge low battery charge (ie. orange on display).

They garage say that they have swapped out everything they can think of. They sell second hand Prius cars and have been hot swapping bits in an attempt to solve the problems with no luck. They now tell me they think it is down to 1 of 2 things.

1.) The gears which aparrently somehow charge the battery.

2.) The main battery needs replacing.

He says that will cost me £2,500 to do this. This has left me a little peaved as the batteris should last for 150,000 miles I was told. My question is is there any other explanation for the problems or am I left to pay this. and secondly is there anyway I can get a spare gears or battery from a spares place in Autrailia or NEw Zealand shipped and what do you think the cost would be.

Any help you can give me would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time on this.

Best Regard

Stuart

2. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't you have the famous 8 years warranty on the hybrid system like Toyota is offering in Belgium and most other countries? Check out your warranty. I would not be willing to pay anything for the batteries after two years.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect there's no warranty since it was imported from Japan.
    It certainly sounds like there's a problem somewhere in the hybrid system from what you've described.

I would check around for a salvage/used battery for replacement if that's what they think is the problem. It should be much cheaper than the 2500 pounds (don't know how to make that cute symbol)

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the battery itself shouldn't cost more than US$3000 from what i understand, and labor shouldn't be that bad... are there scrap yards you could buy a battery from near you? shipping a heavy battery overseas would probably be just as expensive as what they quote you.

they shouldn't be just swapping out parts blindly anyway, if there's a battery problem there should be a diagnostic indicator of that before they move ahead with the repair.

5. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusUK @ May 11 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]253360[/snapback]</div>
    Your model should be the NHW10.

That is the Hybrid System Warning Light, Master Warning Light and HV Battery Warning Light respectively.

If the battery can be charged in park, which means ICE->MG1->Battery should be OK. Not sure why they suspect the gears though.

I agree with galaxee that they should at least pull out the DTC instead of swapping blindly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 11 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]253404[/snapback]</div>
    Doc, you can enter the pound symbol, £, by holding down [Alt] and type 156 on the Numeric Key Pad (not the numbers above the qwert) then release [Alt].

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    >> I live in the UK and have had a Prius for over 2 years. I have never had a problem until now.
    >>It was registered in December 98 and has been imported into the UK from Japan.

>>If I pull the car over put it in park the battery charges and everything seems fine again. After a while
    >>the error disappears. Then maybe 10 miles later ding! red trianlge low battery charge (ie. orange on
    >>display).

Sounds like the battery to me, not that I'm a hybrid-certified mechanic or anything.

>>They garage say that they have swapped out everything they can think of. They sell second hand
    >>Prius cars and have been hot swapping bits in an attempt to solve the problems with no luck. They
    >>now tell me they think it is down to 1 of 2 things.

Doesn't sound like much of a technician. They should be able to narrow it down better than that if they understood the electronics.

>>1.) The gears which aparrently somehow charge the battery.
    Unlikely unless it's somehow always draining the battery when you're moving. But I think that would be a result of computer command, not bad gears.

>>2.) The main battery needs replacing.
    My guess.

>>He says that will cost me £2,500 to do this. This has left me a little peaved as the batteris should
    >>last for 150,000 miles I was told. My question is is there any other explanation for the problems
    >>or am I left to pay this. and secondly is there anyway I can get a spare gears or battery from a
    >>spares place in Autrailia or NEw Zealand shipped and what do you think the cost would be.

My understanding was that generally it's a few cells that need replacing, not the whole pack. They should be able to test the cells and see which ones aren't holding a charge.

The battery could die early for one of two reasons (that I know of): 1) it's a '98, which is one of the very first Prii (collector's item!), therefore they were still ironing things out and maybe some important battery improvements were made later, or 2) a previous owner ran out of gas one or more times and went on battery power only for too long, forcing it below the recommended minimum SOC. This would definitely reduce battery life.

7. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ May 11 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]253391[/snapback]</div>
    He's owned the for 2 years. It's a 1998, so he purchased it used. 1998-2001 Prius only sold in Japan. Check your owner's manual (if it's in english) for battery warranty. Why isn't everything in Japanese? Prius history info is from http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-history.htm. Gears along do not generate electricity. The planetary gear or power-split device splits the engine power between mechanical power to drive the wheels and mechanical power to drive MG1 which generates electricity to charge HV battery which is used to drive the wheels thru MG2. The problem sounds like it is in the electrical drive train which includes the battery, power electronics, MG1 and MG2. The dealer should be able to determine which major componet is at fault. Car being 8 years old, cabling could also be the problem. If its the battery, a 04-06 HV battery in the junk yard is $800.00. I don't know if the 98 battery is the same as th 04-06 battery. Hope this helps.

8. PriusUK

PriusUK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtmhog @ May 11 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]253452[/snapback]</div>

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Stuart,

I suggest you join the Yahoo! group Mk1_Prius. There are some UK-based people with expertise on the Japanese NHW10 model there who may be able to advise.

10. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi Stuart,

There is one owner in the MK1_Prius group which seems to have the same symptom as yours. You can read msg# 512.
    A good suggestion was posted msg# 525.
    As confirmed by the owner on msg# 532, he tried the suggestion and it works.
    Hope this also helps in your case.