1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery life....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusJay, Jan 28, 2007.

1. PriusJay

PriusJay New Member

For those that have the 1G Pri, have you noticed any discharge in the battery, resulting in lower mpg? Just wondering if the nimh batteries are still able to maintain a full recharge, thus maintaining a consistently high mpg over the expected life span of the vehicle?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recent thread posted about a 1G w/ over 270,000 miles with no evidence of loss of function.

3. Kemosaby

Kemosaby New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Battery Life real life example

We all wonder, "How long will my 'main' battery last?" Yesterday, I found out the answer for my 2004 Prius. (I live in a cold climate which may or may not have some bearing on this.)
    2004 Silver Prius @ 84,000 miles. The main battery puked. Excuse me. I meant to say, "It died." The good news? I get a brand new battery, like a new beginning, from Toyota at no charge! For me, still under warranty. Had this been 16,000 miles later, I wouldn't be in such a good mood.
    :rockon:

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    NiMh batteries will not be able to maintain a full recharge over the service life of the vehicle, but the Prius is designed to use only a fraction of the capacity of the battery. This is intentional, so that performance continues to be good as the battery degrades.

Tom

5. Kemosaby

Kemosaby New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We all wonder, "How long will my 'main' battery last?" Yesterday, I found out the answer for my 2004 Prius. (I live in a cold climate which may or may not have some bearing on this.)
    2004 Silver Prius @ 84,000 miles. The main battery puked. Excuse me. I meant to say, "It died." The good news? I get a brand new battery, like a new beginning, from Toyota at no charge! For me, still under warranty. Had this been 16,000 miles later, I wouldn't be in such a good mood.

6. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    do I hear a echo?

7. Kemosaby

Kemosaby New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ooooops! Not sure how I did that. Blame it on my being a rookie.
    :(

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you know if a few cells went bad?

I don't think we can assume cold weather caused the failure unless we see a lot of cases.

9. Kemosaby

Kemosaby New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SeaWolf, sorry but I don't have a clue on that one. The service guy said "new battery" & "under warranty" and that was all I needed to hear. The cold weather mention was ONLY my thinking. I guess because it was 10 degrees out when it died. But, likely, not related.