1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Lifespan Study

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusII&C, Sep 19, 2023.

1. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    According to research done by "Recurrent Motors Inc." over 15,000 EVs, "most EVs driven close to 100,000 miles still have at least 90 percent of their original range left." Is Prius an outlier? Sure, Gen 3 and older models use NiMH while most EV's use lithium-ion, but EVs' battery load cycle is heavier than Prius'. Some people may say age is more crutial than mileage and EV's in general are younger than Prii...

Anyway, does that study hold any water? Or is it a politically motivated biased study?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/researchers-surprising-discovery-lifespan-ev-110000330.html

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I've seen some Prius batteries go to 400,000 mi and they weren't falling on their face when I was sitting in them with that mileage on the original battery car started right up and went where I told it parked when I wanted It wasn't mine so I didn't get to spend a lot of time with it generally they say these batteries are getting ready to fall out at about 10 years so far what I've seen that seems to be pretty spot-on The car with the 435,000 mi on it is certainly an outlier It was also I don't know 15 16 years old that was this year that I saw this car and it's still being daily driven work and back type of thing.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure what you mean by outlier. i would say most prius have 90% range left after 10 years, but you're correct, nimh and lithium should have 2 different studies.

4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you really want to group together PHEV and BEV.
    PHEV probably use the entire range of their batteries quite often compared to a pure BEV given that most people are on long roads trips all the time.

For example I had a Prius Plug-in for 11 years and for many of those years fully charged from "empty" to full at least 200 times per year for the first 6 or 7 years. Meanwhile in my 5 year old Model 3 I have charge to "full" maybe 20-30 times and have gotten below 40-50 miles perhaps 5 times ever.
    (Yes, lack of trips during COVID affected this a bit)

Mike