1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery losing charge whilst driving

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cruising gal, Jul 6, 2016.

1. cruising gal

cruising gal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've bought a used prius v ,the mileage is now 72k and as of monday (2 days ago) the maintenance reqd light came on intermittently when I start the car. So, I checked and saw that this meant it was due for a service, no big deal.

I don't know if it's linked but Monday I drove about 360 miles and then last night (Tuesday) I noticed my battery drained quickly on a 7 mile trip , it went down to 2 bars (they became blue on the car display) and took forever to go back up. Then same thing this afternoon but funnily enough, not this morning.

I've booked the car in for a 60k service, according to Toyota this wasn't done (although carvana did a full check up on it 4000 miles ago when I bought it).

The temperature where I live is getting to about 96F in the afternoon is this what's causing the battery drain do you think?

Thanks for your advice.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! i think it's fine. the heat has been devastating. keep us posted if you see more issues. it might be worth checking the battery cooling fan for cleanliness.

WilDavis likes this.
  3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's normal. The car will use battery dynamically as conditions require it.

There's no such thing as a a more expensive 60k mile service. You just need an oil change and tire rotation.

4. cruising gal

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and air and cabin filter check/clean/replace. rotate tyres.

6. cruising gal

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ohhhh. I hadn't checked the manual for the service intervals but when I spoke to Toyota, gave them the car details they said the last big service hadn't been done. What service would have been missed do you think? I bought the car at 68k. miles.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is no such thing as a 'big' service. but they will try to sell you one. don't let them do it.

check your maintenance manual, do only the things it recommends, and consider having the tranny fluid changed, as some experts here recommend, even though toyota calls it 'lifetime'.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The stealership thinks you missed their "big" service where they sell you $500 in stuff you don't need. Read the manual for 60k service items.

bisco likes this.
  9. cruising gal

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, I know that carvana changed filters etc, I'll get their list of what was done and compare. Since I've driven only 4k miles and the tires were new, I'm not sure why the maintenance light is coming on.

Also, the car is sluggish when accelerating. The gas consumption is also slightly higher than I thought it would be too. Average subarban driving is 38 mpg and that long trip to Houston and back got me to 41mpg. Is this all due to heat? I've had to use the air conditioning since I bought the car, although I'm not excessive about that - I keep it to 77/78f

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The maintenance light blinks after 4500 miles as a warning. It will remain solid after 5000 miles. This means whomever you purchased the car from likely did a maintenance which consisted of an oil change or tire rotation just prior to selling the car.

Fuel consumption should be 43-39 according to EPA. All cars are a little more sluggish with AC use. In other words, everything you've mentioned is entirely normal.

Ozark Man and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you say sluggish, what are you comparing to? prius are pretty slug like.:p

12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The Maint Req light only tells you that it is time to get your oil changed. The person doing the oil change resets it and around 4.5k later the light starts blinking on start up and around 5k it stays lit.

Depending on the type of driving you do, the quality of oil that was used (standard or full synthetic), your budget and your obsessiveness you can elect to just get the light reset or do the minimal oil change and tire rotation. I have my oil changed every 5k.

The service at 30k intervals usually involve air/cabin filter changes and perhaps a more complete inspection. Strictly speaking, you don't need to do more than Toyota calls for, but take a look at the extras the dealer is suggesting as his additional recommendations and see if you think they add value for the money.

When the tires are rotated, you have to make sure they reset the pressures correctly because the tires rotate in a pattern where just moving the tires may throw them out of balance.

Tire pressures several PSI above the recommended help fuel economy. I run 38/36. Short trips have the ICE (gas) engine warming up and the A/C working to cool. Try the Auto HVAC setting and ECO mode.

My lifetime MPG is below. Your mileage may vary.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of driving was that 7 miles? At steady highway speed, that is not normal. In gentle low speed or stop-and-go city traffic, where you may be using electric a lot with the ICE shut down a lot, this can be quite normal. AC will make it drop faster, especially if you spend a lot of time waiting for stoplights.

14. cruising gal

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It was about 3 miles through my neighborhood at about 25 mph then highway at 55 mph. I've been out in it this evening and it's fine again. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow and will see what they say. Thanks for all the tips.
    It seems that my mpg is a bit low as well.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can easily imagine the 3 miles / 25 mph quickly draining the battery, especially if you start with the engine pre-warmed so it shuts down promptly, allowing electric-only propulsion. But it should start filling the battery on the highway portion.
    MPG is highly variable, much more than many drivers expect from the simple EPA rating label. And there are many factors that influence it -- the condition of the car, your particular driving style, and the particular usage and driving environment that the car faces.

If you would like some useful feedback here, then we will need more clues. If so, consider filling out as much of following questionnaire below as practical, and post the answers back here:
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat

16. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When the weather gets too hot, the Regen is shut off completely. The battery drains quickly even when your in hybrid mode (not running on EV only) because there's no Regen to top off the battery. Your dash will show that it's regen breaking but it is done by mechanical braking. The only way to know this is with a scangauge showing the current draw and mechanical brake force. I'll link a video when I find it.

17. cruising gal

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    is the lack of regen charging a problem?

18. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    This is simply incorrect. If the inverter over-heats it might be true. I routinely drive in 100'F temps and never see anything even remotely like that.

The main reason for rapid traction battery discharge in hot temps is the A/C running at max while the car is sitting still. (traffic lights)
    Excessive driving in EV mode will certainly do it too, very quickly. But the A/C compressor running at max speed will draw close to 400w, plus the blower draw.

You haven't really provided enough information about your driving to give anyone enough info to offer an opinion.
    There really aren't any significant issues affecting charging that would fail to throw errors and warnings all over the dash. Leave your car in ECO mode in hot weather, (with the HVAC in Auto), to minimize impact of the HVAC system.

19. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You obviously don't have scangauge installed. It's not the inverter overheating that causes Regen not to work. It's battery over heating. When you have the AC on, it cools the cabin, the Regen gradually returns. I wish the AC only draws 400 watts. AC actually draws near 2000 watts. It draws nearly 10 amps on top of the 2 amps it takes to keep the 12v battery charged and all the onboard computers. When Regen is temporary disabled due to heat, I have to drive in B mode to force some charge to the HV battery.

20. cruising gal

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you all for your replies so far.

I took the car to the dealership for a "60k" service. They searched the toyota database to see what was on there too. There was a bit of catching up to do on a couple of items but the hybrid battery is 100% (phew!). They didn't really have any insight into the battery going down apart from the heat. The tech said that since I hadn't had any warning lights then he didn't think it was too big an issue. I got them to change the oil and rotate the tires - I forgot to ask about the pressure but the costco guys near me are super nice and helpful so I'll ask them.

The items that need doing:
    air filter- this had carbon on it
    cabin air filter - dirty
    brake fluid replacement
    coolant drain and fill
    transmission fluid drain and fill

The tech said that it didn't seem like any of the above had been done and he would definitely recommend them due to the high mileage of the car (72K). He was a sweetie and said he thought I could do the filters myself and save $100 (He had been explaining the fuel economy maximiser and since I maintain my lawn mower, I understood him talking about how the engine/fuel works) So, off to the parts store for me. What would we do without youtube??

the fluid replacements - do I have to go to Toyota for these? I'm a fairly new arrival to the US so please bear with me if I ask questions that seem a bit obvious to you? Can jiffy do them? Is there anything in particular I should ask for?

Final item on the service and the most expensive was "fuel economy maximiser" which seemed to involve pressure cleaning (?). The tech said there were carbon deposits found on the filter and I can't remember if he said anywhere else. This fuel economy maximiser costs $250. Is it worth doing? Might this help with my mileage?

thank you all again.