1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery module worked fine.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Phillip Hamman, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Phillip Hamman

Phillip Hamman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey yall it worked! 161K miles I got the triangle of death. Drove it for almost a week when it went into "limp" mode. Okay, this now sucks. Researched, watched facebook, replaced bad module, so far so good, runs like new. Here is what I observed: the bad module didn't fail with a resistor load test (although it was already down to 6.2 volts, a dead give away). Check each module voltage with the car on and running! Take care though, I wouldn't recommend it if you're not a tech. The bad bad battery fluctuated drastically while the others were stable. The biggest challenge was re-packing all the cells into the casing. The first night was a nightmare! The next day I went and purchased a couple of 36" bar clamps to compress the cells back into place, WHAM! How long it lasts remains to be seen. Total cost: about 83.00 (and about 10 hours but I don't have to charge myself so my labor was free :) ). That stated It's still the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, ten years later.

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good job.

I highly recommend getting Jeff's grid charger the Priuschat shop to balance the pack for any lasting results. Get the discharge ready version and run several cycles to restore capacity.

It's worth mentioning for others wishing to do this to always let the pack cool overnight before disassembling so the modules don't swell.

jeff652 likes this.