1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery ? Need help!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by grey15, Mar 30, 2011.

1. grey15

grey15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just purchased an 06 with nav and JBL ( love this car). Does anyone know if I can run a second battery like a xs power d3400? If it works out I plan to run a 3500 watt (give or take) system if possible, but this synergy charging system in all new to me. I'm not sure if I should put in an on board charger that kinetik makes or maybe the car would be strong enough to support the factory battery and secondary battery. What do you think? Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Ray

2. grey15

grey15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 12V bus is powered by a DC to DC converter from the HV bus. There is no sophisticated 12V battery charging circuit, but instead the bus is held at around 14V.

Some users have found the 12V system inadequate for powering high powered amplifiers, which ultimately results in a dead 12V battery. Whether you can get away with it depends on how and how often you use the amplifier. A second battery does not increase the overall capacity of the 12V system.

Tom

4. grey15

grey15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tom I appreciate you getting back to me! Do you know how many amps does the converter put out, if any? Sorry for the questions if they sound dumb, just trying to figure out the system.

Ray

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The converter only puts out 3.5 amps. Your best bet is to add a second battery to power a separate circuit for the amp AND an onboard float charger.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this 3500 watt rated RMS, continuous or peak? That info will make a big difference. If you could list the items you plan to install it would be helpful for us.

KeepIn mind, the Prius will saga in the rear if you add too much weight in the rear. My old sub box only weighed 90 lbs. and that was enough to drop the rear.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The DC to DC converter is rated for 80A. Keep in mind that all of the 12V accessories draw from this, so you can't use all of the 80A for your stereo. You can occasionally draw this much or more, since the battery is there to buffer the load, but if you do it continuously the battery is going to die.

Tom

8. noisemaker

noisemaker New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought an 05 today. Is it possible to add a battery isolator to run a 2nd accessory battery? I would assume there must be some sort of voltage regulation coming from the dc/dc converter or the battery would overcharge.