1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery never shows full charge??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by duraace, Jul 10, 2009.

1. duraace

duraace New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Been driving Eco for a couple of days, and the battery has never shown 8 bars, only 7. Does this indicate a problem?

2. drbrr

drbrr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We've had ours a little over a week and I think it only showed "full" once. I haven't had time (or inclination) to read the manual to see what that means.

3. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've read this a few times in some another post, and supposedly the battery usually max's out at 80%, which is supposed to be best for the life of the battery. So it's designed for that. I've only seen mine at 7 as well, have a little over 600 miles, and will have owned it for a month tomorrow!

4. 1 mad scientist

1 mad scientist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We have had our 2010 for 12 days. I noticed the battery never goes to full. If you think about what the traction battery is supposed to do, you don't want it to be full! The traction battery is an energy buffer. It accepts regen energy when stopping and being charged by the gas engine. The traction battery returns the stored energy during slow speed driving and acceleration.

What would happen if the battery is full and the system goes into regen mode? There would be no room left to store the recovered energy and it would be dissipated as heat, just like a conventional car! The computer needs to leave some reserve capacity in the traction battery to store the energy from the regen.

The hybrid drive can always store or use electrical energy if the traction battery stays somewhere between empty and full. The whole process is what makes the Prius different from electric and gas powered vehicles.:)

2 people like this.
  5. duraace

duraace New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That makes sense. Thanks. I was wondering, because pictures of the battery in the manual shows it fully charged (i.e. 8 bars). It also warns, however, of the dangers of over charging, so 80% sounds good.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In four weeks, I haven't yet seen 8 bars. I'm not expecting it until next week, when descending a couple 2000 vertical foot grades.

There are various threads here about the battery life vs. depth of charge cycle. These batteries dislike being full or empty, and frequent wide excursions produce poor life expectancy. Small cycles produce much better total lifetime energy throughput. Let the computer control the charge level without much interference from the driver.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is the correct answer.

Tom

8. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery graph which is computer controlled will stay within a range which optimizes the life of the hybrid traction battery. The only time you will see all bars lit (full green on gen ii) is if you're coming down a long hill which requires a great deal of braking. Even at that level, you're not at 100%. As previously mentioned, I think the computer will keep the battery at between 40 - 80 % during its life cycle so that it can last a LONG time. That's why it is crucial not to run out of gas which will drain the battery beyond its optimum low level. I know in gen ii it can go pretty low. I think gen iii has safeguards which prevent it from going below a certain point. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I wish my cell phone battery would last as long as these traction batteries!!!

9. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  10. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My battery only went to 7 bars for the first week or 2, but now will go to 8 bars. I live in a hilly area (I'm at 750 feet, and routinely go down to sea level), and there's a 1 mile stretch I go down often where the battery gets fully charged half way down, since you need to use the brakes a lot.

When it wouldn't show 8 bars for the first week or 2, I was guessing it was being system limited to allow the battery pack to be conditioned before allowing a full charge. I recall reading in the owners manual that it takes a while for the battery to reach its full performance capacity (or words to that effect).

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Two things to remember:

1. "Empty" isn't really empty, but about 35-45% state of charge (SOC). Full is about 85% SOC. This allows the batteries to last 150,000+ miles under "normal" use.
    2. The hybrid ECU strives to keep the battery at 75% of it's normal SOC window. This allows plenty of energy for boost and enough headroom for regeneration.

I've seen full coming down long steep grades in the Gen II. I've yet to see full in hte Gen III. I've been down to 1 "bar" in the Gen II climbing a hill at fairly high speeds. I've yet to push the Gen III up a long steep hill at higher speeds, so I've never seen lower than 2 bars (which can easily happen if you spend a fair amount of time searching for parking w/ the A/C on high and the engine off).

1 person likes this.
  12. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    6 weeks and I've never been above 7 bars.

13. jaywolf

jaywolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Our old Prius that we put 125,000 miles on, only showed full battery 2 times.
    Once after we had descended Pikes Peak and once after we had descended Sandia Crest in NM.
    Until then we didn't even know the post on the little Icon lit up too.

After we got down Sandia Crest and on the the interstate it was almost 100 miles before our average dropped below 99 mpg.
    Here is a photo I took after we stopped for the night/

We haven't had our 2010 long enough to go any where to see what it take to fully charge it.

Attached Files: