1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Pack problems if Prius is not operated for 3 months?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DE Prius, Apr 19, 2009.

1. DE Prius

DE Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am considering purchase of a new Prius. However, I will be leaving the car idle (garaged) for a period of about 4 months each year. Will this idle time affect the long-term life and performance of the Prius battery pack?

2. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wouldn't be worried about the HV battery but the 12v or Auxillary battery in the boot of the car,there's plenty of threads on that particular subject and how to look after it when idle for long periods.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Negligibly. I believe Toyota says it's safe to store, unused, up to 6 months. I don't know that 4 months frequently would be ideal, but it should be OK. Your bigger problem will be the 12 volt which should be on a float charger and you should probably pull the DOME fuse.

It would be preferable if someone could drive it every few weeks or every month.

4. Dr_Prius

Dr_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I will be in a similar situation but I will have someone to start my engine but refuse to drive it. I am wondering if the 12V battery can be charged just by starting the engine without driving?

5. DE Prius

DE Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Thanks for the tip. Will check out the options for 12V battery. My main concern is with the large battery pack.

6. DE Prius

DE Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good to hear that Toyota says safe to store, unused, for up to 6 months. Do they have that info on website or in literature? Regarding th 12V, I'll probably try float charger ... good idea to pull dome fuse.
    Also, may consider idea of having someone drive it every month for a couple of hours.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, the Toyota recommendation is to make the Prius READY every two months for a 30 minute period, to charge up the traction battery. See first page of attached TSB.

However you should be OK if you don't run the car for three or four months, especially if you check the traction battery state of charge gauge prior to storage and make sure it shows 6 blue bars or better. You can force-charge the traction battery by making the Prius READY, shifting to D, depressing the brake pedal with your left foot so that the car cannot move, then flooring the accelerator pedal.

However this places strain on the transaxle so I do not suggest doing this procedure routinely. Also this procedure should not be done more than 40 seconds at a time to avoid overheating the transaxle.

The TSB also suggests disconnecting the 12V auxiliary battery for storage periods longer than 10 days.

Attached Files:

cwerdna, DE Prius and Rokeby like this.
  8. DE Prius

DE Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for info and for the reference.

9. effwitt

effwitt Paparazzi Magnet

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For everyone else out there, if you're going to store anything with a gas engine for that long it would be a good idea to use a product like STA-BIL to keep the gasoline from breaking down.

10. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do all Gen II Priuses have this issue with the 12v battery? The TSB was for only up to 2006 Gen II's. What about 2007 - 2009?

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Same 12v battery; Same issues. Try not to stress the little battery and it will hold up for 5-6 years. My 2004 with 145k miles is still using the original 12v battery. It has never been fully discharged.

JeffD

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Our '06 Lexus SUV hybrid (same as the hihy) has the same issue as the Prius. We got a little lazy w/ charging it. We leave it unattended for many months up in MT. Recently the dealer had to change the 12v aux battery out. They were nice enough to claim it as a 'manufacturing defect' when it failed to start a couple times. But by example, that was after less than 3 years. So keep using those trickle chargers. We keep the trickel charger on a timer ... 30 minutes a day now.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All Prius (including Classic) have similar issues.

TSB PD091-06 was issued for the 2007 model year, and it provides similar advice as the TSB that I attached i.e., run the vehicle for 30 minutes every two months when in storage to keep the traction battery charged, and disconnect the 12V battery when the car is stored for more than 10 days.

If anyone has a current subscription to techinfo.toyota.com perhaps they can check to see whether other TSBs were issued for 2008 and 2009.

14. DE Prius

DE Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    ---------------------
    Since posting this original question, I contacted Toyota Customer Service via internet regarding battery pack problems that Prius owners might experience after leaving the Prius idle for 4 to 6 months each year. Their response:
    I had recently requested input from Toyota on my question about any battery pack problems that might be associated with leaving a Prius idle for 4 to 6 months. I just received the following reply:

"By leaving the Prius idle for 4-6 months each year, the hybrid vehicle battery will discharge and their condition is liable to decline. For Toyota's storage recommendations, please visit [the Toyota help line - FAQs] and select "What should I do to prepare my toyota vehicle for long-term storage (1-6 months)? and "Do I have to take special steps to protect the battery of my hybrid vehicle if I plan to store the vehicle for an extended period?" There you will find valuable in formation and instructions on long term storage."

At this website, the specific guidance provided for hybrid vehicle batteries is: "For the hybrid vehicle battery, charge the battery at least once every two months by starting the hybrid system for about 30 minutes. Check that the "ready" light is on and all lights and electrical accessories are off. It is not necessary to drive the vehicle, but do not start the hybrid system in an enclosed area unless the tail pipe is connected to an exhaust hose to prevent harmful buildup of fumes."

The site also discusses other steps to take when leaving the car idle, including disconnecting the 12V battery cable when storing. (Of course, must be reconnected before starting the hybrid vehicle every two months, per above paragraph.)

Thanks for the feedback from others so far on this question of battery pack life in case of long storage (idle) periods.
    DE Prius

15. DE Prius

DE Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    -----------------------

I read the recommended PDF file on Toyota-recommended maintenance for HV and aux batteries. Very helpful, in addition to your suggestions above. Thanks.
    DE Prius

16. DE Prius

DE Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good suggestion to remember. I use gas stabilizer anytime I leave a car garaged for more than a month or so.