1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery-powered car race is on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wots, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Wots

Wots Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  2. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think NimH gets a pretty bad rap. One of the biggest things that has held it back of course is Texaco/Chevrons patent control. There are finally people starting to get around this though, like these from Nilar:
    http://www.nilar.com/be/__media/pageID_14/langID_1/Nilar MB 24V 9Ah.pdf

A 6.5kW pack of these would weigh ~250 lbs and cost $6000 even at single quantity retail prices. By comparison harvesting A123 18650 cells out of dewalt packs you could build a 6.5kW Li-ion pack that would weigh about 165 lbs but cost ~$20,000. On top of that the Li-ion require much more sophisticated management systems, active cooling and fire prevention schemes, and they are not yet recyclable. Is all that really worth saving 85 lbs on a pack the size of the Hymotion? I'm not sure. In the long run, as packs get bigger Li-ion of some flavor will probably be the way to go but I'm not sure we're at the point where it makes sense yet. I'm also not sure I trust GM to rush this new technology to market, their track record isn't exactly stellar.

Rob

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Not only are Li-Ion batteries recyclable, they are not toxic to handle like nimh batteries.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you please provide links to this information. It is the first time I have heard that NimH batteries are toxic.