1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kentrober, Aug 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kentrober

kentrober New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone,

This is my first time on PC. I have a 2013 Prius 2 that I bought about three years ago, and it has 82,000 miles on it. About a week ago, I noticed that the battery was recharging more often than it used to, and today after I got home, I timed it. When I got home, the battery meter had six bars out of eight. Within seven minutes, it was down to two. I used to be able to sit for at least thirty minutes before the engine would kick in and start recharging it. Does this sound like my battery is going bad? I believed mine came with a 10,000 mile warranty on the battery, but I’ll have to find the paper work. Have any of you used your warranty to get your battery replaced? How difficult is the process?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No codes = no failure.

It is very common that the Prius will work even with 15% to 20% original capacity left on the battery with showing almost no signs other than quicker than normal discharge/charge. You don't get a warranty replacement for drop in capacity. That's normal and will continue to get worse until it tells you it needs to be replaced.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You do know that the A/C runs directly off of the hybrid battery.......right ?
    Thus, when the A/C is going full blast, the HV battery will drop faster.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

drive it hard before the 8/100 warranty is up, in hopes that it will throw a dash light

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get a lot of “gear in neutral” car washes?

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you have air conditioning on this time but not the previous time? If so, that would explain most of the change.

7. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It’s not just using the air conditioning it’s whether it’s full or low on charge makes the difference. 100% for air conditioning refrigerant charge uses very little energy to perform a given task of cooling a volume of hot air. A electric compressor with just a few ounces low on refrigerant cannot perform this task so it gets the command to ever increase the RPMs of the electric compressor drawing more power from the battery because it Had to try to move the same volume of refrigerant that is not there in unideal conditions. This is a very energy intensive procedure under these conditions and continuous. The other problem is if you get your air conditioning recharged improperly and it’s a few ounces overcharged you will get the same result.