1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Question for '06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusrecon, Dec 31, 2015.

1. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just switched from an '04 to an '06 Prius and have had a few curious incidences.

About three times in the past three weeks I would pull the car into a driveway,
    put it in park, and leave it running (still powered up). I would get out, and when
    I returned to it just 2 minutes later (literally 120 seconds), I would find that
    the main battery had discharged from 6 blue bars down to just 2 purple bars at the
    bottom.

It would charge back up again as I drove it after that, a few minutes later I'd be
    back up around the 6 bar level again.

This behaviour is something I had never seen before in my '04.

Is this normal? Can anybody tell me what is happening here?

2006 Gen II Prius, 102,000 miles

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think so, unless you have a lot of draw on the battery like a/c. if you stay with the car, does the engine run at all?

3. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the engine never started to recharge anything.

Two days ago, I tried an experiment I read about online -

After a drive, I parked the car in my driveway, with the SOC meter showing 7 green
    bars. I then engaged the parking break, and put the car into drive, and then began
    timing with a stopwatch as I watched the SOC meter drain while the car pulled idley
    against the parking break.

5 & 1/2 minutes later, it went from the 7 green bars to 6 blue bars.

9 & 1/4 minutes later it went to 5 blue bars.

2 minutes later I switched it out of Drive gear and put it in Park. There it stayed at 5 blue
    bars for about 1 minute, and then plummeted all the way down to just 2 purple bars in
    just 1 more minute. The engine then kicked on and it charged to 3 blue bars in a minute
    or so, then the engine switched off again.

I then put it back into Drive and let it pull idley against the parking break again and timed how
    long it took to drain from the 3 blue bars down to 2 purple bars - answer; about 5 minutes.

I put it back into Park, and it sat at the 2 purple bars for about three more minutes without the
    engine ever kicking on to recharge it again.

I then drove it exactly 1 mile, wherein the battery recharged itself to 5 blue bars.

For the next two days, it seemed to work very well, even getting better milage than it did
    in previous weeks (it had been doing rather poorly before then), until today.

Today I drove it and it appeared to be doing really well. But then the battery meter began
    indicating all 8 green bars after I made a long expressway ramp exit. I then drove about 1
    mile on a 35 mph road all on the electric motor and battery, a stretch which always took two
    bars drain on my old 2004. But today, it started out with 8 full green bars, and plummeted
    all the way down to just 2 purple bars. Afterwards, the gas engine felt rather lame as it
    tried to pull the car. The battery recharged itself back up to 6 blue bars in the last 1
    mile to my home.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it sounds like your battery might be going south. you might do well with one of those grid chargers, but i'm not really sure.

5. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I have no Direct comparison, because I just switched from the '04 to this '06, it does seem to be getting 4-5 mpg less than the other car under similar temperature conditions. Also, the MFD numbers I was used to seeing on any particular road were much lower on this car than on my other. After two complete tank fills and a miles driven/gallons filled calculation, I've noticed about 5 mpg average less than my other car got.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that might be normal...saw it tonite...I was sitting at Outback restaurant take-away door with the windows open so I jacked up the heat with AC for defrost and after 10 minutes or so it was purple as I drove off.

..normal for 10-yr old battery