1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Question from Relative Newbie

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ThetaSigma99, Apr 3, 2005.

1. ThetaSigma99

ThetaSigma99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only had my Prius for 2 months or so now, and have a question about the battery. The other day, I was caught in awful traffic for an hour or so, and the battery strenth dropped down to the point where it was only 2 bars that were red. However, since the traffic was moving so slowly, I was never using the gas pedal, just the "creep," and the ICE never kicked in to recharge the battery. The ICE would only turn on when I hit the gas pedal, but I was almost never in a situation where I could do that, given the awful traffic.

Is it possible for the battery to actually completely discharge while stuck in traffic? It didn't this time, but I got worried, since I am used to seeing happy blue or green battery levels. I know that the Prius is designed so that the ICE kicks in when needed to recharge the battery, but I was concerned that this didn't seem to be happening when I wasn't using the gas pedal at all.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The prius will not let the battery drain completely. It will start up the ICE momentarily to charge as necessary until you start moving again.

Please someone post this in the FAQs...maybe someone could head up a whole "Newbie Questions" section with these oft asked rarely searched for answers questions.