1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery question, plz help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by futuredenied, Oct 16, 2013.

1. futuredenied

futuredenied Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just bought a 2006 prius. It had 2 bad cells in the battery pack. I replaced the cells and all seems to be well, they all read the same voltage and the car appears to be driving, charging, working. My question is that I still have the red exclamation mark and check engine light. The only code I get says to replace hybrid battery pack. Is it something only a dealer can clear, There are no other specific codes or issues and it runs perfect. Basically I guess what I am asking is how to clear the light or figure out why the light is still on! Thanks in advance!

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The best advice I can give is to buy a "Mini VCI with Techstream" off Ebay at around $30. This will clear and read any codes produced by the Prius. It will also allow you to monitor the battery in use giving module pair voltages and resistances.
    This s basically the same sort of system the dealer uses, and is capable of just about any service task you will undertake. The first time you use it will pay for itself.
    Just fitting used battery modules without balancing the complete battery is usually not successful but there have been exceptions.

John (Britprius)

3. futuredenied

futuredenied Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks, I had high hopes that it would be an easy fix. I'm guessing the system won't just balance the packs... I swear it runs great and from what I've read everything is right on the money. any suggestion would be helpful. I know a ton about Yaris's but this is my first prius, so far so cool. Really neat vehicle

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry forgetting my manners, Welcome to PC.
    It may be that the codes just need clearing, but no guaranty. I strongly suggest you have a look at the mini VCI (I have no connection with the company). If you intend doing as much of your own work as possible this tool is really useful. Just bleeding brakes is all but impossible without it. While on that subject on no account do anything on the brakes "including pad change or removing the rear drums" without first disconnecting the 12 volt battery!!!
    Good luck with your Prius and I am sure you will find many helpful people here should you require more assistance.
    It is helpful if you put your location in your avatar as the Prius varies with location, and it also helps with guiding you to service and parts and other members locally that may be able to assist.

John (Britprius)