1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tresguey, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Tresguey

Tresguey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am looking to buy a used Prius for my work commute. I live in southern California and my commute is 130 miles a day. I have been lurking in a few forums trying to look for common issues I need to look for and what problems I might expect. I am very mechanically inclined so most of all the maintenance will be done by myself.

I did see a few battery issues that made me wonder. If your drive battery goes out can the Prius still be driven? I saw a few threads on this forum as well as others where people have stated you can get about 100 miles out of it before it quits.

Any help will be much appreciated.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The battery (HV traction) is not so much of an issue in California as it is guaranteed for 10 years 150,000 miles. There is now a grid charger re conditioner available, and the modules within the battery can be replaced. The battery when or if it fails issues DTC's to give warning and the car will still drive with reduced performance and increased fuel consumption.
    Batteries can be bought new and reconditioned or from wrecks. The gen2 battery can also be rebuilt from gen3 modules.
    Hope this helps.

John (Britprius)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No the car will not run with a failed traction (Hybrid) battery. The car needs the power from the battery to make the transmission work.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It depends what you call failed.
    The battery can issue failure codes for module out of balance voltages "probably the most common failure mode" and go into limp mode.The codes can be cleared and the car will run again. If ignored for to long this can lead to complete failure in which case the engine will not start because it uses the traction battery to start it.
    However at speeds above about 50 mph the battery is not used on the flat, and although does assist on hills the engine will still power the car using mg1 as a generator to power mg2 as a motor plus power from the engine to turn the wheels. The performance is poor but it still does move.
    I have towed a 2240 lbs caravan up a 20% incline with a completely discharged (below 40%) HV battery

John (Britprius)

#4 Britprius, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  5. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    IMHO - The more you drive a Prius every day, the happier it is. The batteries love being used on a consistent basis. I would be more concerned if you planned on letting it sit for long stretches.... Also, with a commute like that, you will save ALOT of money on fuel, not to mention the lower maintenance than a conventional vehicle. I am on my second Prius, and my wife's 2007 is still going strong with 98,000 miles. Replacing the HV battery is most likely less than a transmission on a conventional vehicle. Also, in Cali, you have coverage on the pack 'til 150,000 miles!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tresguey | PriusChat

Welcome to Prius Chat!

I don't think you are going to have problems with the battery either. Like what is said above, the battery is covered for 10 years, 150K miles in Cali. Just keep the maintenance up on it, and change the trans axle fluid every 60K and you should have good luck.

Second Prius owner here. Very happy with ours. Minimal maintenance cost and maximum benefit from reduced gasoline usage. At today's prices the Prius is a real winner. I can happily say I can fill my tank for less than $20 US. I haven't done that in a LONG time with any vehicle I have been driving.

Great car and also a great hauler too. Plenty of room in the back, especially if you fold down the split back seats. You can pile a bunch of stuff back there and truck on down the road. 800 pounds of weight capacity including humans.

Great on the highway and around town too. Plenty of power even on the open road. And the range is incredible. Once you drive a Prius, you probably won't go back to traditional ICE vehicles.

I could go on and on, but I think you get my drift.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

Britprius likes this.
  7. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Funny you mentioned that. I struck a conversation with a Prius owner who had 200k miles and that is exactly what he said. If you drive it regularly and don't let the car sit around, the happier the battery will be and possibly a longer life for the prius.

dorunron and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  8. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive a few hundred miles a week, my 2005 had 236 xxx miles. Like others already said, the Prius loves being driven, 130 miles the prius is in heaven. Like today, I had no where to go but I decided to take a 10 mile drive through the countryside just for the hell of it, I try to not go a day without using it. After all, I get 52 mpg, why not go on a joy ride! :)

dorunron likes this.
  9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will add this. Recently took a road trip in ours. Went from Houston to Grand Junction CO (over the divide) and then on to Moab, UT. Had a great time and hardly used any fuel at all. I think I spent $120 round trip if my memory serves me correct. It is all on my fuelly below...

4K miles in ten days time. Never wimpered. Best thing ever did for that was to get it out on the open road and DRIVE it!

Ron

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  10. Tresguey

Tresguey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the replies. I really think this is the right move. I just wanted to clarify that it wouldn't die on me driving at freeways speeds.

Any tips on what to look for when purchasing a used Prius?

11. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would look for good records, and an interior thats in really good condition. Most the time, if the owner kept the interior nice they probably took good care of the rest of the car. Miles isn't everything in a prius. If anything be lery of a older very low mile prius, the battery doesn't like to sit

dorunron likes this.